To Tilt-Shift or not to Tilt-Shift, That is the question.

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2007
      Does anyone have first hand experience with the 24mm tilt shift lens versus
      zoomed out interpolation plus cropping?

      Sacha Griffin
      www.southern-digital.com
      www.seeit360.net
      www.ezphotosafe.com
      404-551-4275
      404-731-7798
    • dmgalpha
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone have first hand experience with the 24mm tilt shift lens
        versus
        > zoomed out interpolation plus cropping?
        >
        > Sacha Griffin
        > www.southern-digital.com
        > www.seeit360.net
        > www.ezphotosafe.com
        > 404-551-4275
        > 404-731-7798

        Hi Sasha,

        I don't have a 24mm, but I have the TS-E 45 and 90.

        You need to be more precise in your question. As they are
        I can't answer them.

        * The TS-Es can tilt/shift only a given amount, so they are
        restricted. Also, depending in its orientation, and the orientation of
        the subject it can tilt
        and shift, or only shift.

        * What lens are you going to compare it against?

        * What resolution? How many frames? At full resolution/1-frame the
        TS-Es will win, as they
        don't require interpolation, and they are very good lenses. But if you
        use a 400mm and take a _huge_
        number of frames you'll end with more data and more resolution.

        So in general, with a mosaic you can come out
        with a better architectural pano than a single TS-E. The only
        exception might be when there is a pattern in the subject that
        produces moiré.

        If you are comparing 1 frame to 1 frame, the TS-Es will win, as
        long as they can shift enough.

        Having said that I have read the 24mm is not as sharp as the 45
        which is very sharp but less than the 90mm.

        BTW, I don't use my TS-E for architectural purposes or for increased
        depth of field. For that I use panotools or hugin.

        dmg
      • Bruce Hemming
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
          Hi Sasha

          Do you only want to compare the effects of using the TS v
          manipulation in PS/whatever? I use the Canon 24mm TS on my EOS 5D
          for interiors shoots and it is pretty much my first lens of choice
          unless I have to go wider. I'm old skool and have always done as
          much in camera as possible - just habit really - and prefer to get it
          done then rather than at a later stage on the computer. I also only
          really wanted to be a photographer, not a computer operator, but I
          don't have much choice these days!! I don't think that for
          practical purposes the results are hugely different, but then most of
          my work is repro ed in magazines where you couldn't tell the
          difference anyway - well not until UK publishers learn how to print
          digital images %-(

          TS lenses aren't exactly cheap so unless you have an urgent need for
          one ??

          Best

          Bruce

          Bruce Hemming
          Bruce Hemming Photography
          Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
          Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
          e-Mail: bruce@...

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
            Yes, exactly. There are often situations, where I need the look. So I tilt
            the 10-22 and

            distort it back to position in PS.

            My question, was essentially.. is it worth the time/money for the quality?

            Then I guess, it is best to take a 4x4 mosaic longer lens.

            Then I escape the softness and vignette of the 24 ts.

            On the otherhand, it might be a lot harder to nail the composition, since
            you'll only see how it looks when you get home.

            I guess my question, is torwards whomever has experience with these two
            workflows to see what they prefer.

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

[...]

            e-Mail: bruce@bhphoto. <mailto:bruce%40bhphoto.biz> biz

          • Steve Townsend
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
              Mmmm, I do have experience two workflows, but not the PS method

              I have been using the 24mmTSE with a 1DsMk2 for a long time for my
              architectural work. I have assembled a mosiac many times when I
              needed something wider or when I need higher quality. Unfortunately
              as a commercial photographer the mosaic workflow is just too slow for
              me. Visualisation of the shot I got my head round but maybe that is
              just experience of 5x4 and the 24mmTSE.

              I think if the mosaic shot is needed occasionally then all is well
              but commercially it did not work for me. I did try really hard to
              make it work but ultimately I ended up going for a P45 back and a
              Cambo Wide DS.

              I still use the 24TSE but never the mosaic.

              Regards Steve

              :: Steve Townsend BSc MSc ABIPP
              :: www.stownsend.com
              :: member of the British Institute of Professional Photography

              :: portrait studio
              :: www.zzzone.co.uk
              :: 37 Gloucester Road
              :: Bristol BS7 8AD
              :: 0117 9423355

              On 27 Jun 2007, at 15:56, Sacha Griffin wrote:

              > Yes, exactly. There are often situations, where I need the look. So
              > I tilt
              > the 10-22 and
              >
              > distort it back to position in PS.
              >
              > My question, was essentially.. is it worth the time/money for the
              > quality?
              >
              > Then I guess, it is best to take a 4x4 mosaic longer lens.
              >
              > Then I escape the softness and vignette of the 24 ts.
              >
              > On the otherhand, it might be a lot harder to nail the composition,
              > since
              > you'll only see how it looks when you get home.
              >
              > I guess my question, is torwards whomever has experience with these
              > two
              > workflows to see what they prefer.
              >
              > Sacha Griffin
              > www.southern-digital.com
              > www.seeit360.net
              > www.ezphotosafe.com
              > 404-551-4275
              > 404-731-7798

            • RomualdV
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
                Hello Sacha,

                I use the 24 tse. As and old school photographer, I prefer to shift
                on location instead of stitching then cropping (direct view and more
                fast). With a fullframe digital like 5D or 1ds x, the image sharpness
                is always better than what I had on 135 films. So I don't really care
                about the actual differences shift/stitch-crop.

                On another side, since my 14 mm recti (h fov +- 90 deg) is out of
                order, I use the fe 15 and remap/crop the image for very wide angle
                views. It is far more convenient than to use directly the 14 to
                adjust perspective and composition.
                I have also presented some landscape images remapped into cylindrical
                and cropped to 24x36 ratio and they are very well accepted by people
                who don't know this postprod work.

                Romuald