Re: Belgium Atomium building - copyright grab

  • Andrew Nemeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2006
      On Sat Jul 29 2006 "fierodeval" wrote:

      > I viewed this news
      > http://www.emich.be/fr/2005/09/23/belgiquelaridicule_latomium/ (French)
      >
      > The Belgian society of copyright asks for money by publication of any
      > photo of the Atomium on the Internet.

      See also:

      <http://www.chillingeffects.org/fairuse/notice.cgi?NoticeID=760>
      (english)

      Thankfully such nonsense is specifically prohibited in Australia by
      s.66 of our Copyright Act. See my "NSW Photographer rights" article
      at:

      <http://4020.net/unposed/photorights.shtml#copyr>

      Interestingly, for people in the Excited States, the following URL:

      <http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/42.php>

      ... warns that "even if you are an American and think you are protected
      by U.S. copyright law Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 120, you will still
      be sued [for publishing photos of the Atomium]."

      Maybe so, but looking at all the failed USA building-trademark cases
      (see the "Trademark protection" heading in my photo-rights article), it
      is extremely unlikely any such suit would get up.

      Sigh. Too many lawyers + not enough work = mischief + mayhem.

      Regds,

      Andrew N.
      <http://nemeng.com>
      Blue Mountains Australia