A 3D/pano project (Google Earth)

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22, 2007
      I/we finally put online a project which was begun several months ago, but delayed while
      we were waiting for leaves on trees etc...
      It is presentation of a private school in 3D + 39 cross-linked Java/Flash panos, using
      ivp files and Pureplayer. No maps.
      http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz
      is the GE file directly.
      http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/ is the entrance page the school made for it (so far..)
      There is a small English text frame there too, but the "Bare bilder" links are to enter
      the VTour directly, bypassing GE.

      What do you think?
      Is this a good way to do such a presentation?
      Or would you prefer a list of panoramas with thumbnails and/or map, with no cross-
      linking, and no 3D/GE?

    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22, 2007
        Hi Bjoern,

        > http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz
        > is the GE file directly.

        Google won't open this kmz. Alert: Failure to analyze row 1 and colum 2
        not well-formed (invalid token).

        Looking forward to see this Google Earth tour.

        Cheers,

        Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging

        PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
        Skype me @ vrdundee
        Member of IVRPA.org
      • Alexander Feldmann
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22, 2007
          Opens fine in my Google Earth. Just clicked the link in Outlook, the file
          was downloaded and then opened GE automatically. I use Version 3.0.0762 on
          Windows XP SP2.

          Alex

          _____

          http://www.agder. <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz>
          http://www.agder. <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/> fhs.no/panorama/ is
          the entrance page the school made for it (so far..)
          There is a small English text frame there too, but the "Bare bilder" links
          are to enter
          the VTour directly, bypassing GE.

          What do you think?
          Is this a good way to do such a presentation?
          Or would you prefer a list of panoramas with thumbnails and/or map, with no
          cross-
          linking, and no 3D/GE?

          --
          Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen. <http://bknilssen.no> no - panoramas and
          3D

        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 22, 2007
            On 22 Jun 2007 at 19:00, Alexander Feldmann wrote:

            > Opens fine in my Google Earth. Just clicked the link in Outlook, the file
            > was downloaded and then opened GE automatically. I use Version 3.0.0762 on
            > Windows XP SP2.

            Thanks for the feedback.
            However, it looks much better in GE 4, because the 3D model depends heavily on photo
            textures, instead of modelled geometry everywhere.
            I suppose you only saw a grey model?
            By clicking the hotspots in GE you get access to the pano VTour.

            > I/we finally put online a project which was begun several months ago, but
            > delayed while
            > we were waiting for leaves on trees etc...
            > It is presentation of a private school in 3D + 39 cross-linked Java/Flash
            > panos, using
            > ivp files and Pureplayer. No maps.
            > http://www.agder <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz>
            > fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz
            > is the GE file directly.
            > http://www.agder <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/> fhs.no/panorama/ is
            > the entrance page the school made for it (so far..)
            > There is a small English text frame there too, but the "Bare bilder" links
            > are to enter
            > the VTour directly, bypassing GE.
            >
            > What do you think?
            > Is this a good way to do such a presentation?
            > Or would you prefer a list of panoramas with thumbnails and/or map, with no
            > cross-
            > linking, and no 3D/GE?
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22, 2007
              On 22 Jun 2007 at 9:28, Milko Amorth wrote:

              > Hi Bjoern,
              >
              > > http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz
              > > is the GE file directly.
              >
              > Google won't open this kmz. Alert: Failure to analyze row 1 and colum 2
              > not well-formed (invalid token).

              Strange. I just tried again right now, and it loads fine.
              Which version of GE are you using?
              It requires GE4 or newer to view textured 3D models, but it should still work on older
              versions?
              Here is a link to almost the same file (only the initial viewpoint is different)
              http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz
              It points to the same VTour, on that other agder.fhs.no domain.

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
                but you can go for a Samsung Q1, like me...
                ;-P

                Bjørn K Nilssen ha scritto:

                > On 22 Jun 2007 at 9:28, Milko Amorth wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Bjoern,
                > >
                > > > http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz
                > <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz>
                > > > is the GE file directly.
                > >
                > > Google won't open this kmz. Alert: Failure to analyze row 1 and colum 2
                > > not well-formed (invalid token).
                >
                > Strange. I just tried again right now, and it loads fine.
                > Which version of GE are you using?
                > It requires GE4 or newer to view textured 3D models, but it should
                > still work on older
                > versions?
                > Here is a link to almost the same file (only the initial viewpoint is
                > different)
                > http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz
                > <http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz>
                > It points to the same VTour, on that other agder.fhs.no domain.
                >
                > --
                > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no <http://bknilssen.no> -
                > panoramas and 3D

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
                  wops! Wrong reply...
                  :-O

                  Luca Vascon ha scritto:

                  > but you can go for a Samsung Q1, like me...
                  > ;-P
                  >
                  > Bjørn K Nilssen ha scritto:
                  > >
                  > > On 22 Jun 2007 at 9:28, Milko Amorth wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi Bjoern,

                  > <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz>
                  > > <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz
                  > <http://www.agder.fhs.no/panorama/Agder_fhs.kmz>>
                  > > >
                  > > > Google won't open this kmz. Alert: Failure to analyze row 1 and
                  > colum 2
                  > > > not well-formed (invalid token).
                  > >
                  > > Strange. I just tried again right now, and it loads fine.
                  > > Which version of GE are you using?
                  > > It requires GE4 or newer to view textured 3D models, but it should
                  > > still work on older
                  > > versions?
                  > > Here is a link to almost the same file (only the initial viewpoint is
                  > > different)
                  > > http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz
                  > <http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz>
                  > > <http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz
                  > <http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz>>
                  > > It points to the same VTour, on that other agder.fhs.no domain.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no <http://bknilssen.no>
                  > <http://bknilssen.no <http://bknilssen.no>> -
                  > > panoramas and 3D

                • Milko Amorth
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
                    Hi Bjoern,

                    > http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz
                    > It points to the same VTour, on that other agder.fhs.no domain.

                    This time it worked fine on Mac GE 4.0.

                    Excellent Tour in GE.
                    A visual preview still in the ballons would elevate the tour experience in
                    GE. I feel it is a well constructed VRtour. Bravo.

                    Cheers, Milko

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
                      On 23 Jun 2007 at 13:12, Milko Amorth wrote:

                      > Hi Bjoern,
                      >
                      > > http://bknilssen.no/afh/tur/AFH09.kmz
                      > > It points to the same VTour, on that other agder.fhs.no domain.
                      >
                      > This time it worked fine on Mac GE 4.0.
                      >
                      > Excellent Tour in GE.

                      Thanks :)

                      > A visual preview still in the ballons would elevate the tour experience in
                      > GE. I feel it is a well constructed VRtour. Bravo.

                      Yes, maybe I should add thumbnails too?
                      I thought it was overkill, but maybe not?
                      As they would be links to external files it wouldn't add to the already quite large .kmz
                      file that was necessary to add ortho photo with enough ground detail. GE is unfortunately
                      very coarse in our part of of the world, both terrainwise and aerial/sattelite-wise. I
                      think the whole area is covered with jus a few pixels.
                      Hopefully GE will get a new "LookAround" mode some time, allowing visitors to view a
                      panosphere right inside GE, like we can do now with devices like SpaceNavigator. It would
                      be a heavy download packing big tours into a .kmz file though. Right now there's about
                      50MB.