10.5mm spherical on a pole with APSc camera

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2006
      Hallo Dave!!!

      :-DDDDDD
      I effectively am speaking about the RingT...
      I use Canon cameras (mainly) and on travel I used a 20D with 8mm sigma and ringT on a monopod. Camera was tilted 60 degree as on the Mrotator CP.
      The BIG manfrotto monopod has the problem it has a very large camera support plate, that is too close to lens (eats precious degrees for nadir).
      I also use a lot the 10.5 nikkor, on Canon 20D. But I did no spherical pano on the pole with this system till now. I planned to!
      But right now I'm in the movin... I just retail some hour to work, I've boxes all around, my Mainframe PC is still boxed somewhere in another city, and it is smokin'hot here!!!
      I can say what I'll do:

      hardware:
      A little monopod tilt head will be mounted on the cane, between cane and RingT
      shooting:
      after the 6 picture of the drum are taken conventionally I'll lower the system, make the camera look up (out of NP, of course) raise it, shoot, take it down again and make the system point down.
      In this case I'll shoot two pictures, 180 degrees one from the other.

      software:
      Ptgui will do the miracle:
      1 load al 9 pictures in a project, and use the 10.5 lens definition, or build the len
      2 find CPs for the 6 images of the drum and optimize
      3 lock all positions, optimize zenit image only.
      4 select the lens tab, and set the 2 nadir image as they have indipendent shift...
      5 find manually CPs for these as they will have a little parallax... and then optimize them for position and shift.
      6 Last trick will be to set a crop for both to let out the cane from the image... (thanx Michel Thoby)
      Cheers!

      Luca Vascon, aka "TheProfessor"
      :-D

      --
      "Wide angle is something intended to picture close subjects"
      (Romano Sansone)