portable storage devices

  • maston67
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 19, 2007
      Hi

      I have a big shoot on Monday, and Im starting to think about backing
      up during the shoot (is this overkill do you think, or just good
      practice)

      Im looking for a no hassle portable storage device to back-up whilst
      on a shoot.
      Any recommendations?
      Budget around £100 ($200)

      Really needs to have incremental back-ups otherwise every time I
      back up it'll just copy everything again (not just the new files)

      Ive looked at the Jobo giga one

      http://www.picstop.co.uk/Portable-Storage---Viewers/JOBO-Giga-One-
      Portable-Storage-Device--40GB

      which doesnt have incremental back-up.

      Apparently the Vosonic Vosonic VP2160 :

      http://www.picstop.co.uk/Portable-Storage---Viewers/Vosonic-VP2160-
      Portable-Storage-Device---40GB

      does according to the distributor but I dont believe them as it only
      has one 'copy' button on it

      Im using a Nikon d70s, Lexar 4GB 133X card, and will be shooting
      around 4GB per shoot.

      Anyone know of any better solutions (Im in the UK btw)

      Many thanks

      Masten

      www.virtutour.com
    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 19, 2007
        Buying 3 Peak 120x CF of about 8gb each...
        It would be in budget.
        :-)

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 19, 2007
          Try http://www.wolverinedata.com/index.php/site/quicklinks/C12/
          I have their 60GB drive and have been happy with it, as my CF cards plug straight in and no other equipment (e.g.: PC) is needed. Plus battery power cuts you free of the cord.
          Dave

[...]

        • Rodrigo Alarcon-Cielock
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 20, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I have a big shoot on Monday, and Im starting to think about
            backing
            > up during the shoot (is this overkill do you think, or just good
            > practice)
            >
            > Im looking for a no hassle portable storage device to back-up
            whilst
            > on a shoot.
            > Any recommendations?
            > Budget around £100 ($200)

            Hi Masten,

            Left it a little bit late, I use an Image Tank, it is about 5" x 3"
            and it has an internal 3" HD of 30gb. Once the card is full all I do
            is connect to the appropiate port, as it can read many diferent card
            types, press the save button and copies the files to it. Then after
            it is done it is a case of inserting the card back into the camera
            and delete all images and carry on shooting. It is a essential part
            of my panographer kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/Picture2-Storage-Image-
            Tank-Photo-Backup-Card-Reader-
            UK_W0QQitemZ220120842808QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18872QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD
            2VQQcmdZViewItem try this link the seller say that it is in the UK.
            ask him how much it will be including the HD as this link only shows
            the case without the HD.

            kind regards,

            Rodrigo
          • Jeffrey S. Martin
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 20, 2007
              SPACE HYPERDRIVE

              it rocks! :)

              Jeffrey

            • runespaans
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 20, 2007
                I second that. Check out the Hyperdrive, it's a great piece of backup
                gear. I use it on my travels, and it's sturdy, reliant and fast:

                http://www.hypershop.com/shop/

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey S. Martin"
                <panoramas@...> wrote:

                > SPACE HYPERDRIVE
                >
                > it rocks! :)
                >
                > Jeffrey

              • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 21, 2007
                  > I second that. Check out the Hyperdrive, it's a great piece of backup
                  > gear. I use it on my travels, and it's sturdy, reliant and fast:
                  >
                  > http://www.hypershop.com/shop/

                  It looks like an ancient space invaders handheld console.
                  They should fear a lawsuit from Sony for using those button icons..

                  Every year before I go on holiday, I'm thinking of buying an image tank.
                  But they are always quite expensive, have major quirks or simply aren't
                  sexy enough.

                  With compact flash prices being as low as they are, the need for an image
                  tank has gone for me. Unless it has a great 4" display and allows fast
                  browsing and zooming. That could definitely tip me over..

                  Serge.
                • Yuval Levy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 21, 2007
                    Serge Maandag (yahoo) wrote:
                    > Every year before I go on holiday, I'm thinking of buying an image tank.
                    > But they are always quite expensive, have major quirks or simply aren't
                    > sexy enough.

                    YEP! I bought a USB-OTG drive for 30$ on eBay a couple of years ago when
                    1GB CF was still 120$

                    I won't go into details about the quirks - one backup out of 20 was
                    problematic, so about once or twice during a typical trip I had to go
                    back to base station (notebook) and spend extra time on backup.

                    Now, with 8GB CF at 60$, nothing justifies such a backup device anymore.

                    > Unless it has a great 4" display and allows fast
                    > browsing and zooming. That could definitely tip me over..

                    one like <http://www.dynamism.com/ux/main.shtml> ?

                    at current prices it is the equivalent of more than 2TB of CF.

                    Yuv
                  • Jeffrey Smith
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 21, 2007
                      I've missed some of this thread - but has anyone mentioned the Epson
                      P-2000 and the current versions that are out there? They might be a
                      little more expensive, but I've found the P-2000 I've been using for a
                      couple of years has functioned flawlessly, and they've got the best
                      screen of any of them hands down.

                      I've found that, for the way I work on location anyway, that a couple of
                      4 Gb CF cards (I actually carry 4 of them) works fine. I keep the P-2000
                      either on my belt on in a backpack, when a card needs downloading it
                      goes into the Epson to download while I'm shooting on another card. I
                      leave the laptop in the hotel (sometimes I even leave it at home
                      altogether) and download a backup of each card at night. So far, in over
                      2 years of regular use, I haven't had to use an image from my backup files.

                      Jeff Smith

                      Smith/Walker Design and Photography

                    • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 22, 2007
                        > > Unless it has a great 4" display and allows fast
                        >> browsing and zooming. That could definitely tip me over..
                        >
                        > one like <http://www.dynamism.com/ux/main.shtml> ?

                        Granted, this comes close to drooling material..
                        But for that price I could hire an advertisement plane to paint my
                        pictures with smoke in the sky :(

                        These things tend to lose 100% of their value in 3 years. For a pc that I
                        use for hours a day, that's not a problem. But I would only use a gadget
                        like this for maybe 50-100 hours...

                        Serge.
                      • Chris Thomas
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 22, 2007
                          The best solution used by Pros..

                          For good reason is the Epson P-3000

                          Best display on the market

                          http://www.epson-europe.com/internetLive/dctm/content/EU/en_GB/products/digi
                          tal_cameras/EU_product_model_P3000_EN.inter.jsp

                          Chris Thomas

                          Photographer

                          cell... 403-615-1212

                          In North America

                          call... 1-800-870-5110

                          > > Unless it has a great 4" display and allows fast
                          >> browsing and zooming. That could definitely tip me over..
                          >
                          > one like <http://www.dynamism <http://www.dynamism.com/ux/main.shtml>
                          .com/ux/main.shtml> ?

                          Granted, this comes close to drooling material..
                          But for that price I could hire an advertisement plane to paint my
                          pictures with smoke in the sky :(

                          These things tend to lose 100% of their value in 3 years. For a pc that I
                          use for hours a day, that's not a problem. But I would only use a gadget
                          like this for maybe 50-100 hours...

                          Serge.

                          snip.

                          d=10501/stime=1182541387/nc1=3848640/nc2=4025338/nc3=4617365>

                        • maston67
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
                            Just wanted to say thanks everybody for your input on this.

                            I decided I was being a bit too cautious and dont really need one at
                            the moment for local jobs, but looking at all the replies I reckon
                            the hyperdrive is the best as it's good value, really fast, and I
                            dont need a viewer - so if I decide to get one I'll probably go for
                            that.

                            Masten

                            www.virtutour.com

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

                            > Hi
                            >
                            > I have a big shoot on Monday, and Im starting to think about
                            backing
                            > up during the shoot (is this overkill do you think, or just good
                            > practice)
                            >
                            > Im looking for a no hassle portable storage device to back-up
                            whilst
                            > on a shoot.
                            > Any recommendations?
                            > Budget around £100 ($200)
                            >
                            > Really needs to have incremental back-ups otherwise every time I
                            > back up it'll just copy everything again (not just the new files)
                            >
                            > Ive looked at the Jobo giga one
                            >
                            > http://www.picstop.co.uk/Portable-Storage---Viewers/JOBO-Giga-One-
                            > Portable-Storage-Device--40GB
                            >
                            > which doesnt have incremental back-up.
                            >
                            > Apparently the Vosonic Vosonic VP2160 :
                            >
                            > http://www.picstop.co.uk/Portable-Storage---Viewers/Vosonic-VP2160-
                            > Portable-Storage-Device---40GB
                            >
                            > does according to the distributor but I dont believe them as it
                            only
                            > has one 'copy' button on it
                            >
                            > Im using a Nikon d70s, Lexar 4GB 133X card, and will be shooting
                            > around 4GB per shoot.
                            >
                            > Anyone know of any better solutions (Im in the UK btw)
                            >
                            > Many thanks
                            >
                            > Masten
                            >
                            > www.virtutour.com

                          • Rick Drew
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
                              I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
                              now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55 each!
                              On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
                              shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
                              Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
                              not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a little
                              more per MB.

                              Rick Drew

                            • jimiscaro
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
                                Hello.

                                It seems that most people that I know have iPods. Apple sells a nifty
                                little adapter that plugs into the base of the iPod and allows for a
                                USB cable to be plugged in. When you connect your camera the iPod
                                sees it and downloads the camera's content(not the fastest process).
                                At the end of the process it asks if you want to clear the card. ( I
                                never do). It's a handy backup, if you have an iPod, and you can view
                                the pics.

                                Jim
                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
                                  On 7/3/2007 2:11 PM, Rick Drew rambled on about ...:
                                  > I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
                                  > now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55
                                  > each!
                                  > On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
                                  > shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
                                  > Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
                                  > not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a
                                  > little
                                  > more per MB.

                                  For the $210 you spent on 4 4GB cards I bought a Wolverine 60GB PSD for
                                  $80 and had $85 left over (to buy more CF cards or whatever). Yes you
                                  need several cards but the *real* advantage of a PSD is being able to
                                  take a really small lightweight device with you into the field and be
                                  able to backup your CF (or whatever) cards when you've over the hills
                                  and far away (from your notebook and electricity) and aren't coming back
                                  for days and days.

                                  > Rick Drew

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                • Mark D. Fink
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007
                                    Or you can be really paranoid like me. I just got back from two weeks in
                                    Greece. I have an old Minds@Work digital wallet that I used to use regularly
                                    to offload CF cards in the field. Since buying two 2GB cards recently, I no
                                    longer need that functionality. At the end of the day, I upload all the
                                    photos to my laptop in the hotel room, then run an xcopy command (like
                                    xcopy.exe "h:\travel\*.*" g:\travel /d /s /y) which finds all new files on
                                    the laptop and copies them to the digital wallet.

                                    Here's where the paranoia kicks in. On the way home, I pack my laptop in a
                                    carryon rolling suitcase and the digital wallet in my camera bag. Good
                                    thing, because London is equally (and justifiably) paranoid. You are only
                                    allowed ONE carryon. So, I checked the rolling suitcase with my laptop into
                                    the luggage compartment and took my camera case on board. Worst case
                                    scenario is that if they lost or damaged my suitcase with the laptop, I'd
                                    still have all of my images on the digital wallet.

                                    Redundancy is rarely necessary, but when stuff hits the fan, it's nice to
                                    have a second copy of the stuff. :o)

                                    Mark

                                    www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

                                    www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

                                    On 7/3/2007 2:11 PM, Rick Drew rambled on about ...:
                                    > I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
                                    > now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55
                                    > each!
                                    > On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
                                    > shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
                                    > Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
                                    > not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a
                                    > little
                                    > more per MB.

                                    For the $210 you spent on 4 4GB cards I bought a Wolverine 60GB PSD for
                                    $80 and had $85 left over (to buy more CF cards or whatever). Yes you
                                    need several cards but the *real* advantage of a PSD is being able to
                                    take a really small lightweight device with you into the field and be
                                    able to backup your CF (or whatever) cards when you've over the hills
                                    and far away (from your notebook and electricity) and aren't coming back
                                    for days and days.

                                    > Rick Drew

                                    Pat Swovelin
                                    Cool Guy @ Large

                                  • Alexander Feldmann
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 5, 2007
                                      I do not call that paranoid, but rather good practice ;-)

                                      I basically do the same, but every evening I burn the images to DVD on the
                                      internal drive on the laptop. As I want to have a backup of my untouched
                                      raw-files anyway, this already saves me a step back home and gives me a
                                      backup of all stuff I shoot.

                                      Regarding travelling, I always try to carry all technical equipment on
                                      board. Even with the current limitations, I never had a problem taking a
                                      camera-bag in addition to the carry-on-luggage on-board (keeping fingers
                                      crossed)

                                      Unfortunately luggage theft is on the rise, I have heard many stories of
                                      stuff that went missing out of checked bags on flights from Africa, but
                                      nowadays, luggage is even stolen from your car on rest-stops on the main
                                      travel routes here throughout Europe. (I know of people that secure their
                                      luggage in their truck with a steel bicycle cable)

                                      Alex

                                      _____

[...]

                                      www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>
                                      -vr.com/>

                                      www.northernlight.net <http://www.northern <http://www.northernlight.net/>
                                      light.net/>

                                      On 7/3/2007 2:11 PM, Rick Drew rambled on about ...:
                                      > I have a 30 gig storage device. Never use it. CF cards are so affordable
                                      > now I never need it! I purchased three 4 gig cards last month for $55
                                      > each!
                                      > On RAW, it's over 800 images per card. I just completed a four hour photo
                                      > shoot - never changed cards - and had room to spare after 700+ images.
                                      > Storage devices are facing a huge problem. Memory is dirt cheap, HDD's are
                                      > not. If I calculate it out, the storage device is the same cost or a
                                      > little
                                      > more per MB.

                                      For the $210 you spent on 4 4GB cards I bought a Wolverine 60GB PSD for
                                      $80 and had $85 left over (to buy more CF cards or whatever). Yes you
                                      need several cards but the *real* advantage of a PSD is being able to
                                      take a really small lightweight device with you into the field and be
                                      able to backup your CF (or whatever) cards when you've over the hills
                                      and far away (from your notebook and electricity) and aren't coming back
                                      for days and days.

                                      > Rick Drew

                                      Pat Swovelin
                                      Cool Guy @ Large