Re: sigma8 vs. nikkor 10.5

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2007
      Posted by: "Keith Martin"

      > Sometime around 18/6/07 (at 07:29 +0000) Carl von Einem said:
      >
      >> >There will be difference in resolution between a 3 or 4 shot panorama
      >> >with the same lens/camera combination.
      >
      > I'm not sure it makes a difference where the same lens is being used,
      > as greater overlaps just mean more is thrown away - doesn't it? That
      > just gives greater flexibility when dealing with things like masking
      > out moving people.

      Sorry, I forgot a 'no' in that sentence, thanks for the correction:
      There is NO difference. And I also like more overlap better than a tight
      fit. Same goes for T-shirts... btw how are the plans for the panotools
      meeting in August? We need T-shirts! :-)

      > But certainly with a given camera MP resolution, using a longer focal
      > length lens means more photos are required to make the stitched end
      > result, leading to more pixels in that end result.
      >
      > If you shoot with an extreme fisheye you won't be able to produce
      > nearly as large an end result as if you used a moderate wideangle
      > lens - simply because you'd have to use more photos to create the
      > full 360-degree stitched result.

      Another nice thing about wide angle lenses (vs. fisheyes) is their fixed
      NPP. Easier for stitching and post production. Yes, I know, smartblend
      and enblend do miracles.
      [...]

      > It *does* require more shots around for a 360 pano. But aren't you
      > talking about doing realtor photography work? You really won't need
      > the two-shot difference that means.

      How true.

      Carl