PanoToolsNG on gmane

  • Pablo d'Angelo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
      Hi all,

      I (and probably some others as well) were reading the PanoTools group
      through gmane. I think it would be great if the new list is also readable
      via gmane.
      Are there plans to subscribe PanoToolsNG to gmane?

      (I hope this is not too much off topic... ;)

      ciao
      Pablo
    • Thomas Rauscher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
        Hello Pablo,

        on Thursday, July 13, 2006, 19:26:30 you wrote:

        PdA> I (and probably some others as well) were reading the PanoTools group
        PdA> through gmane. I think it would be great if the new list is also readable
        PdA> via gmane.
        PdA> Are there plans to subscribe PanoToolsNG to gmane?
        PdA> (I hope this is not too much off topic... ;)

        I filed a request at gmane but didn't get an answer (yet). Nabble is
        working already. http://www.nabble.com/PanoToolsNG-f15658.html

        MfG,
        Thomas.
      • Daniel M. German
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
          Pablo> Hi all,
          Pablo> I (and probably some others as well) were reading the PanoTools group
          Pablo> through gmane. I think it would be great if the new list is also readable
          Pablo> via gmane.
          Pablo> Are there plans to subscribe PanoToolsNG to gmane?

          One of the main advantages of Gmane is not only the ability to use to
          read, but as an archiving and searching/method. It also provides an
          alternate storage to yahoo. I don't think there is any disadvantage to
          the use of gname from the users or the administrator point of view
          (except for the inicial setup).

          Pablo> (I hope this is not too much off topic... ;)

          Pablo> ciao
          Pablo

          --
          Daniel M. German "In other studies you go as far as
          others have gone before you,
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
            effort is underway. i am suffering with you... can't
            wait to get gmane access.
            Yuv

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • roger_d_williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
              Hi, Pablo. I agree with you. I used and loved the GMANE service.

              Roger W.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo d'Angelo <pablo.dangelo@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I (and probably some others as well) were reading the PanoTools
              group
              > through gmane. I think it would be great if the new list is also
              readable
              > via gmane.
              > Are there plans to subscribe PanoToolsNG to gmane?
              >
              > (I hope this is not too much off topic... ;)
              >
              > ciao
              > Pablo

            • Carel Struycken
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
                In the US at least, Nabble works a LOT faster than Gmane. So for
                people on this side of the pond like Yuv, Nabble seems to be a better
                choice.

                Carel
              • yuval levy
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
                  --- Carel Struycken <cs@...> wrote:

                  > In the US at least, Nabble works a LOT faster than
                  > Gmane.

                  That's the web interface. I dislike web interfaces. I
                  don't know if Nabble has an NNTP interface, but this
                  is the way I use gmane:

                  -Open Thunderbird
                  - Menu > File > New > Account...
                  - select Newsgroup account in the radio box and click
                  next
                  - enter your name and email address (those that you
                  use as a subscriber of the group) and click next
                  - enter news.gmane.org as news server and click next
                  - give the account a name meaningful to you and click
                  next
                  - click finish

                  then in the main firefox window
                  - rightclick on the newly created account
                  - select Subscribe... in the context menu
                  - search for the group you want to read
                  - subscribe

                  this will download the message to your machine - much
                  faster than any web based interface.

                  you will read and reply with the interface you are
                  used from emails. this also works with other modern
                  mail client that integrate a news reader such as
                  Outlook Express.

                  > So for people on this side of the pond like Yuv,
                  > Nabble seems to be a better choice.

                  unless I am missing it completely, I have not seen any
                  NNTP access to nabble. No matter how fast it is, no
                  current web based interface will match the convenience
                  of a local newsreader application. I can mark entire
                  threads as read (when they are uninteresting) or flag
                  them as important when there is something I want to
                  learn and I do not have the time. And it keeps track
                  for me of which messages I read and which not. Just
                  like email.

                  Yuv

                  http://mail.yahoo.com