0th iteration optimizer results?

  • stevenkan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2006
      Is there a way to get control point distances after 0 iterations of the optimizer? For example, I
      might want to do the following:

      1) Load a set of images in PTGui, apply a template from the last time I shot with this same
      setup, add control points, and see how far off they are, or:

      2) Take a picture, remove from tripod, break down my pano head, put it all back together
      again, take another picture, load both into PTGui, add control points, and see how far apart
      they are (e.g. to test repeatability of my setup procedure)

      Would anyone else have use for such a feature? Or am I the only one who does silly stuff like
      this?
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2006
        I would think you could easily do what you want. Load images; apply
        template; go into advanced mode and deselect everything so that
        nothing gets optimized; run the optimizer and see what the CP
        distance is.

        Mind you that I haven't tried it out, but it seems sensible.

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

        On Jul 29, 2006, at 8:07 PM, stevenkan wrote:

        > Is there a way to get control point distances after 0 iterations of
        > the optimizer? For example, I
        > might want to do the following:
        >
        > 1) Load a set of images in PTGui, apply a template from the last
        > time I shot with this same
        > setup, add control points, and see how far off they are, or:
        >
        > 2) Take a picture, remove from tripod, break down my pano head, put
        > it all back together
        > again, take another picture, load both into PTGui, add control
        > points, and see how far apart
        > they are (e.g. to test repeatability of my setup procedure)
        >
        > Would anyone else have use for such a feature? Or am I the only one
        > who does silly stuff like
        > this?

      • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
          > I would think you could easily do what you want. Load images; apply
          > template; go into advanced mode and deselect everything so that
          > nothing gets optimized; run the optimizer and see what the CP
          > distance is.

          And you may have to throw in a dummy image and optimize that one.
          The optimizer won't run if nothing is selected to optimize. It will just
          pop up with "no parameter to optimize".

          Serge.
        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
            Thanks Serge- I should have tried out my advice first. You do have
            to do that to avoid the "no parameters" response.

            Red-faced,

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On Jul 30, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Serge Maandag yahoo wrote:

            > > I would think you could easily do what you want. Load images; apply
            > > template; go into advanced mode and deselect everything so that
            > > nothing gets optimized; run the optimizer and see what the CP
            > > distance is.
            >
            > And you may have to throw in a dummy image and optimize that one.
            > The optimizer won't run if nothing is selected to optimize. It will
            > just
            > pop up with "no parameter to optimize".
            >
            > Serge.

          • jeffrey
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
              Yes!
              Additionally, it would be nice to control how many iterations. . . . .
              e.g. once I was optimizing an image and after about 2500 iterations
              the average error was 0.000239584 or something. turned out that d and
              e were being optimized as thousands of pixels. Alternately, I was
              optimizing something very heavy, each full optimization took about 10
              minutes, between 10 and 80 iterations. would be nice to set it at 10
              for something like this until all problems are ironed out.

              jeffrey

              0th iteration optimizer results?
              Posted by: "stevenkan" steven@... stevenkan
              Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:07 pm (PST)
              Is there a way to get control point distances after 0 iterations of
              the optimizer? For example, I
              might want to do the following:

              1) Load a set of images in PTGui, apply a template from the last time
              I shot with this same
              setup, add control points, and see how far off they are, or:

              2) Take a picture, remove from tripod, break down my pano head, put it
              all back together
              again, take another picture, load both into PTGui, add control points,
              and see how far apart
              they are (e.g. to test repeatability of my setup procedure)

              Would anyone else have use for such a feature? Or am I the only one
              who does silly stuff like
              this?

              Back to top
            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
                On Mon, July 31, 2006 11:23 am, jeffrey wrote:
                > it would be nice to control how many iterations. . . . .
                > each full optimization took about 10 minutes, between 10
                > and 80 iterations. would be nice to set it at 10 for something
                > like this until all problems are ironed out.
                >
                > jeffrey

                With PTOptimiser you can cancel it at any time the it will present the best results up
                to that time. It is more of a stop than a cancel.

                --
                Jim Watters

                Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                jwatters @ photocreations . ca