PTGUI vs. PTAssembler vs. HUGIN

  • brianoconnell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
      I am a newbie for this generation of pano software. I bought a
      package about 10 years ago by Black Mountain Software (or something
      like that) that produced ivr files. Since then I have been out of the
      hobby.
      I am impressed by the Pano Tools and want to get a front end GUI.

      PTAssembler is cheaper but PTGUI seems to be the defacto standard.
      HUGIN is open source which is very attractive.
      I tried them in a limited way and they all seem to work.
      Does anyone have a lot of experience with each and can tell me the
      pros and cons?
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
        Hi Brian, and welcome to the group!

        My history goes back just about as far as yours, having used PhotoVista and
        the whole IVR thing, then getting my nerve up and diving into PanoTools. I
        made the jump straight from Pixel Picker and Notepad to PTGui, so I can't
        give you pros and cons on the other packages. You've certainly come to the
        right place though!

        Mark

        www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

        www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
          On Monday, June 11, 2007, at 10:07PM, "brianoconnell" <brian@...> wrote:

          >PTAssembler is cheaper but PTGUI seems to be the defacto standard.
          >HUGIN is open source which is very attractive.
          >I tried them in a limited way and they all seem to work.
          >Does anyone have a lot of experience with each and can tell me the
          >pros and cons?

          Hi Brian

          Another newbie here

          I have been using ptgui to assemble hand held panos taken with a 5d and sigma 8mm, it still amazes me how little post production I need to do!

          I have been taking street scenes in india and only minimal masking required, infact sometimes it ignores some of the people in the shots altogether!

          The first method I tried was with a 15mm and a 360 precision, which gives very high res and accurate results, great for architecture, but having been taken in for questioning on sunday, when shooting here ( you cannot use a tripod without permission) I find the hand held option quicker and less obtrusive.

          When it comes to cost, PTGui is very reasonable and is well worth the money, espeially considering how much money one can spend on camera, lens and platform.

          Like Mark says, you have come to the right place :)

          A big thank-you to all the off list advice too, Especially Andrey