57398Re: [PanoToolsNG] Ultra-wide lens for full frame

  • Keith Martin
    Jul 29, 2014
      On 29 Jul 2014, at 21:23, Robert Lesac robert@...
      [PanoToolsNG] wrote:

      > Currently I use a D90 with a Tamron AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD.
      > The difference would be small, barely 12 deg VFOV in portrait mode.
      >
      > So that leaves me with fish-eye lens which are IIRC a pain to use (non
      > fixed NPP).

      With a well-set head (or a lens-specific rotator) it's not the problem
      you're probably thinking. The majority of my stuff is shot with a Nikkor
      10.5mm shaved fisheye, and I have very little trouble at all.

      Or, if you have the budget, there's a lens that's been on my wish-list
      for a long time: the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 ultra wide zoom. It's awesomely
      sharp – as sharp as the best primes in this area. Ken Rockwell says
      that this lens "is sharper wide-open at 14mm in the far corners than my
      fixed 14mm f/2.8 is stopped down at f/5.6," and "devoid of any coma or
      softness at every aperture" from centre to corners. The bad news is that
      you'd be lucky to find it for under $1500/£900 second-hand. :-(