57065RE: Questions shooting panos in low light & busy environments

  • bruce_hemming
    Oct 29, 2013

      Here is an example that's very busy and not a lot of light (more than you might think though).

        http://www.bhphoto.biz/lewes/lewes.htm

      This was shot on an EOS 5D MK1 / Nikkor 10.5 FE shaved with ISO at 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/80th ( a little bit underexposed but recoverable in RAW processing)  F stop was about - somewhere between 5.6 1/2 and 8 1/2.  No way of knowing for sure as I use Hans Nyberg's famous end of a Q Tip aperture control.

      Noise is obviously very apparent and I used heavy Noise Ninja processing to achieve what I think was a reasonable balance ( I shot this in 2007 so I might revisit this to see if I can improve that).  As it is that time of year again in the UK I'm looking forward to going out with my MK 11 5D with much improved ISO expansion/noise control.

      On actual shooting I found that there is often a natural movement in the crowd if they are following something that they are watching and that a crowd can move 'in sync'.  For this sequence I shot the first frame at 90 degrees to my right and rotated the camera counter clockwise so that the runners and barrel was the last shot.  I had the crowd reaction captured before the main interest arrived but their attention was fixed and they didn't move much.  Obviously there is a lot of post work in PS ( the man behind me with his fingers in his ears had three arms for quite a while) but I've now shot over 100 panos on this subject and it is easier than you might think.  Using a radio trigger with the camera on a monopod above my head I can shoot the four frame sequence in less than 5 seconds and I've successfully used shutter speeds as low as 1/15 second.

      Bruce Hemming.

      ---In panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com, <lovefilm@...> wrote:

      I've been shooting a lot more panos in spaces with low light and lots of people moving about, such as events, art exhibits, parties, etc..

      So I'm forced to open up my lens quite a bit from my preferred f8.

      I use a Canon 7D with a Sigma 8mm 3.5 and a mono-pod.

      I've taped my lens to the point I feel is the best focus at f8 - a little past infinity.

      But do I need to adjust the Sigma's focus when opening it up to lower f-stops?  Would it even make a difference?  I like to get objects of interest as close as possible to the camera because such a wide lens makes everything appear so distant.

      Another question is using a flash in such environments.  Are there any specific techniques (or preferred equipment ) to using a flash when shooting a pano?   Currently all I have is my camera's built in flash, which leaves an ugly shadow in the bottom middle portion of the image when using the Sigma 8mm.   Would a speed light make a difference or still cause the same type of shadowing when used with the Sigma 8mm?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic