57056Re: Questions shooting panos in low light & busy environments

    Oct 26, 2013
      Am 26.10.2013 00:25, schrieb lovefilm@...:
      > I've taped my lens to the point I feel is the best focus at f8 - a
      > little past infinity.

      Past infinity? for f/8 it should be a bit nearer, at hyperfocal
      distance, which is about 32cm using classical calculation with 0.025mm
      circle of confusion. However, situation is a bit different for fisheyes
      and zoomable panoramas. See http://wiki.panotools.org/Depth_of_Field for

      > But do I need to adjust the Sigma's focus when opening it up to lower
      > f-stops? Would it even make a difference? I like to get objects of
      > interest as close as possible to the camera because such a wide lens
      > makes everything appear so distant.

      Classical hyperfocal would be 47cm for f/5.6 and 65cm for f/4, but see

      > Another question is using a flash in such environments. Are there
      > any specific techniques (or preferred equipment ) to using a flash
      > when shooting a pano? Currently all I have is my camera's built in
      > flash, which leaves an ugly shadow in the bottom middle portion of
      > the image when using the Sigma 8mm. Would a speed light make a
      > difference or still cause the same type of shadowing when used with
      > the Sigma 8mm?

      You'll improve with an external flash, but you need a good diffusor to
      evenly light such a wide lens. A cheap solution is a piece of
      translucent plastic in front of the flash. A better solution is pointing
      the flash backwards on a white styrofoam or the like fixed up and behind
      the camera at some distance. The larger the better, to avoid shadow of
      the tripod. If you are indoors and have a white ceiling you can point
      the flash up to the ceiling behind the camera. Take care not to light
      the zenith directly, or you get a bright spot there.

      But with a flash you still have the problem that far away objects are
      less bright than near ones, especially outdoor.