56803Re: Magic Lantern Raw 360 videos -- twin dslrs

  • zakato360
    Jul 29, 2013
      Very nice stitching PeterM! ... loving your results!

      I am most interested in 360video these days where I've been doing some recordings with my 5Dii for sometime (http://www.zakato.com/?cat=435).

      Starting to unveil the power of raw video now: in part thanks to your posts here ... cheers! :)

      I have done some basic test already (not yet 360) ... trying to catch up with all the info at the ML forums ... and I'm slowly getting there (using my 5Dii with a.d. build from 2013/07/26).

      Overcoming the 16:9 limitation is so powerful. I can now record video with my sigma8 all around (1280x1250) @ 25fps continuous. For my Tokina10-17 @ 10 and @12 I have to drop the frame rate to be able to record the whole lens area for a reasonable amount of time (anyway I can always match the 16:9 @ 25fps but in raw this time :)

      I more or less have everything clear now as to start with some stitching ... will try to do so asap! ... what I still have to make up my mind about is FPS. So far I've done all my past recordings at 25fps. But I see that one of the "leading" references in 360video can only do 15fps, which is so easy to achieve with MLRaw (15 to 20 fps I can more or less get continuous recording @ 1880x1250, i.e sensor's full frame for video). I then wonder if it is so crucial to try to get too high on this ?!?! ... or if using a non-standard fps setting such as 18 (=super8) 19 or 20 will be good enough ?!?!?!?

      anyway ... to much ML lately bouncing in my head! ;)

      cheers,

      Antonio

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zakato360" <zakato360@> wrote:
      >

      > but will try to do some raw 360 video soon too (just got some proper lexar cards for this).
      > >
      > > Read somewhere that even recording at a lower frame size the raw quality is excellent (could be stretched up afterwards without much or any quality loss!). And overcoming the 16:9 ratio looks very good too for panoramic video!!!!
      > >
      > > Thanks again and i look forward to new results! ;)
      > >
      > > Antonio
      > >

      > Here is another one -- in equirectangular perspective -- from a higher viewpoint (about 3m). Here the sync looks very good -- check out the speedboat, for example, as it transitions the blend zone.
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkOjWCkBYU&hd=1
      >
      > The video is speeded up about 250% to make it more lively looking. Originally at 24fps.
      >
      > About making spherical coverage ..
      > I have been playing with simulating tilts in PTGui. If you (virtually) tilt each shot down 20 degrees then you get rid of the nadir hole and you still have coverage across the 360 frame up to about 110 degrees vertically -- good for little planet 360s without nadir holes. Or if you add another camera looking directly up (above the other two tilted down) with a 180+ image circle then you can get full 360/180 coverage that way. Though it will not work very well if the lens is flare prone, or there are close objects in the 3rd lens's blend zones with the first two.
      >
      > PeterM

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic