5680Re: number of images at non-zero pitch?

  • pedro_silva58
    Jan 3, 2007

      > On Wednesday, January 03, 2007 at 20:21, pedro_silva58 wrote:
      >
      > > this is just what i needed! i guessed there should be a cosine
      > > somewhere, but didn't quite know where. oh, and subtracting half the
      > > vertical fov is a very thoughtful touch, but may not be strictly
      > > necessary. with it, we get the minimum overlap, without, an average
      > > overlap (i think).
      >
      > In my example with 20° horizontal FoV you would need only 12 images
      > at 60° but 16 images at 45° (lower edge). 12 images cover 240°
      > (without overlap!) but at 45° you need 254° (=360*cos(45)). This
      > means you won't have any overlap at the bottom side.

      erik,

      i appreciate your efforts in getting this right. i agree that
      subtracting half the vertical fov, while not _always_ necessary, is
      the right way to do it, and is safer.

      on the other hand... how many images you need, depends on overlap
      (yes, of course ;-) ). i understood your example to be an
      illustrative example only. if you regularly shoot for only 20%
      overlap you are a braver man than i am.

      cheers,
      pedro
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic