56766Re: RAW dynamic range extraction

    Jul 13, 2013
      Am 13.07.2013 13:19, schrieb Jeff:

      > He does not say to underexpose, quite the contrary in fact.
      > What he says is to overexpose in camera, then to underexpose in the Raw
      > convertor.
      >
      > (How much you can overexpose/underexpose will vary, depending on your
      > camera and the Raw convertor used).
      >
      > Thus getting more shadow detail to work with, and by using the best
      > "convertor" getting the best highlight detail as well.

      Exactly what I say. And even more: In the wiki article I give hints on
      how much you can overexpose (in camera) before you definitely blow the
      highlights, namely raw ETTR and UniWB:
      http://wiki.panotools.org/RAW_dynamic_range_extraction#Shooting

      ETTR is now ten years around. However, until Guillermo Luijk's article
      about UniWB there was no workaround to the problem of most cameras not
      showing a raw histogram. And only after Magic Lantern displaying raw
      histograms, raw ETTR hint and raw zebras there is a really reliable
      technique to use the full power of the sensor of widely used cameras
      without guesswork.

      May be I didn't pay enough attention to best image quality in my
      article. My goal was to demonstrate how to save the maximum from the raw
      data into a stitchable format. Fine tuning to achieve best quality is
      far better done on the stitched panorama, since only there you get the
      complete impression. But hey, it's a wiki! Anyone is more than welcome
      to improve the article!

      Editing and account creation is currently restricted due to heavy
      spamming. But I'll be very happy to create an account for you. Simply
      click on "Log in" in the top right corner and follow the instructions.
      If you don't have an account