56765Re: RAW dynamic range extraction

  • Jeff
    Jul 13, 2013
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause wrote:
      > We want to show anything around, including deep shadows and bright
      > highlights. Hence we have the problem to compensate for that. He says
      > ACR 2012 is not the best, better use 2010 and underexpose. But if we do
      > so we loose shadows we need so much. And if he says Aperture does it
      > better, well, why not? I can't judge. Your're welcome to write an
      > article about Aperture.

      Hi Erik, I don't think you have fully understood Guy Gowan's explanation.
      He does not say to underexpose, quite the contrary in fact.
      What he says is to overexpose in camera, then to underexpose in the Raw convertor.

      (How much you can overexpose/underexpose will vary, depending on your camera and the Raw convertor used).

      Thus getting more shadow detail to work with, and by using the best "convertor" getting the best highlight detail as well.
      Surely this is exactly what we panoramic photographers, indeed all photographers, want to do?
      Hence the reason for my disagreeing with your original statement about Classical photographers.
      Once you have the best data set you can get from the Raw file you can do whatever you wish with it, knowing that your starting point is as good as you can get it. How you manipulate the image data from here is all down to personal taste and requirements.

      > Definitely not. The page is from May, ACR 8.1 came out in June.

      I will have to bow to your greater knowledge on this point.

      Jeff Starley

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic