56761Re: RAW dynamic range extraction

  • Jeff
    Jul 11, 2013

      > Highlight restoration is much improved in the most recent version (8.1).
      > Guy Gowan is talking about version 7 I guess. And of course his goal is
      > a very different one. Classical photography doesn't have to cope with
      > the problems panorama photography has.

      Erik, I disagree with this statement, we are all (I assume) trying to achieve the best quality we can from our images, are we not?
      I cannot perceive why you would think that "Classical" photography would require a different level of quality compared to panoramic images. They both have the same starting point, it is just the final output which differs. Or am I not understanding you correctly?

      Sorry nearly forgot - I "assume" he is using ACR 8.1 in his video, as he states he tries all the Raw convertors, and he is usually right up to date, but I could be wrong. I have tried ACR 8.1 myself and it seems to suffer from the same problems, but hey! try it yourself.

      > Aperture, I guess.

      I did not want to start a "slanging" match on Windows versus Apple, I use both, they are simply tools.

      Yes Aperture, your "guess" is correct, it also tells me that you have not watched the video I am talking about.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Henrik Tived <tived@...> wrote:

      > Jeff, which Raw converter are you recommending ?

      I did not make the comment to recommend one piece of software over another, I just thought that it may help everyone to understand the differences in Raw convertors, and to come to their own conclusions as to which one is best for them.

      Knowledge is always useful.
      Once we have it, how we choose to use it is our decision.

      Jeff Starley
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic