56731Re: Panotour pro, KRpano and Kolor upgrade policy...

  • jrgen_schrader
    Jun 28, 2013
      I agree, Luca, but want to add that a) the headline is a bit misleading, because it is more about your own upgrading plans as with Kolor upgrade policy.

      b) PTP can be of great help for those that have no idea about tour building. For example I introduced it in my last workshop for photojournalists that wanted to learn about spherical panoramas.

      Taking the image is one thing, showing them is a completely different thing.

      It all depends on personal needs and how deep one wants to get into that matter, but I garee that for those who are already very familiar with XML coding the output from PTP can be a bit surprising :-)

      We will have to wait and see how far they can get with the version 2.0 and if any of the "issues" of the current version will at least be "smoothed".

      Cheers
      J├╝rgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

      > I'm writing this more with my heart than with my brain, so take it as it
      > is...
      >
      > I was wandering around Kolor website. I had news from friends that were in
      > iceland that Panotour Pro 2.0 was coming out, and giving finally a
      > good-and-clean krpano xml output.
      > I had a project this spring that needed some virtualtours to be realized.
      > I have to say, to make things clear, that I know how to code in KRpano, and
      > I usually do that. I realize the whole things from scratches. I decided to
      > put the money together and to buy Panotour pro, just to put together the
      > things more easily, to save some time, and use the code it generates as
      > base for the final tours.
      > Ok, our output are usually made-to-measure things, so, our interfaces, ways
      > of interact, graphics, are made to fullfill the actual needs of the
      > customer.
      > We do not change "skins", we project interfaces
      > It ended up that the Panotour Pro is aimed for ready-made tours, and the
      > code it pops out is a mess. All the resulting virtual tour will have the
      > panotourpro inprinting, whoever will recognize bounduaries and presets,
      > schemes and patterns... Ok, I agree, it is not possible to make it
      > differently with a software.
      > Well... in terms of xml?! Even the placing of elements in the map is
      > something I'd prefer doing by hand. I could not make any use of Panotour
      > Pro, at the end. XML usage is kinda messy and out of my standards (that
      > are copy of Klaus KRpano examples), completely.
      > Using KRPano with its own tools is, for me, faster, less complicate etc.
      > Ok, Panotour Pro stays on the drower, hoping next version will give me some
      > reason to use it.
      > Now I do not know if next version will be the thing I'll be looking for,
      > but since the upgrade policy, and the rising price, it will be for the same
      > price I gave for the version 1.8 just less than 60 days ago (I had KRpano,
      > so I could use it as discount token)...
      > Ok, I already did my idiocy. I bought a software I'll never have reason to
      > use (the xml output is a real mess, it is disabled in the evaluation copy).
      > My heart feeling, now, is that I won't upgrade. Even if it gives me a good
      > code, in which I'll for sure have to put hours more to get things my own
      > way, and I will not be able to see it if not thank to somebody who bought
      > it... it will not justify that price tag.
      > Said that, I do not think I can resell my licence (with KRpano discount
      > etc) and I only throw my money out of the window...
      >
      > I'd add... buy KRpano licence itself, and learn how to code!
      > That is the core! the most fantastic panoramic display softtware EVER, and
      > it is so damm cheap! with no upgrade policies or surprises, till now. Ok,
      > average upgrade is every 4-6 months, with GREAT plus and functionalities...
      >
      > :-)
      >

      > --
      > Luca Vascon.
> [...]
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic