56629Re: 14bit raw video from Canon 5d II/III

  • panovrx
    May 23, 2013
      There are two video modes -- normal and magnified (5X or 10X).
      http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

      Magnified gives you more resolutions but Liveview display when recording is not accurate. In magnified mode you can get the full H width of the sensor (5760 pixels) with small V resolutions. I havent tested this much.

      Magnified mode Raws are sharper than regular raws (not rescaled, exactly like sections of full size raw stills).
      http://www.slashcam.de/tools/ml-raw-calc.html
      http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Tips/Magic-Lantern-Canon-RAW-FAQ---Teil-2-RAW-Crop-Kalkulationen--Was-ist-1-1-Crop-RAW--63-.html

      with more recent ML versions your card is tested as the camera starts and you have color coded text showing data rates, and indicating (by the colors as well has the text content) if you are dropping frames.

      PeterM

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Reetz <danreetz@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, PeterM - with respect to the high frame rate modes, is there a
      > table somewhere that shows the possible rates/resolutions?
      >

      > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > There are a couple of features of the Magic Lantern raw-capable firmware
      > > versions of particular relevance to panoramists. In the interface you can
      > > specify the dimensions of the captured sensor area to a certain extent. eg.
      > > You can choose a horizontal resolution of 1920 and a vertical resolution of
      > > say 360. This gives you much greater frame rate choice as the data rate is
      > > now much less (or you can use slow cards). So with the camera in vertical
      > > orientation you can shoot lots of panoramas in raw without too much data or
      > > at very high frame rates.
      > >
      > > Also there is a "panning mode" option. This enables you to choose a
      > > resolution -- say 360H 1280V -- and then use the "multi-controller" Canon
      > > button to move the capture window to the left or right of frame. So you can
      > > capture horizontally offset areas of the sensor. And you can use the
      > > multicontroller to move the area during the shot giving you in-camera pans.
      > >
      > > Being able to have offset capture areas is good for slice assembly single
      > > camera stereo panorama capture scenarios too. Even better for this would be
      > > to be able to specify dual vertically adjustable slice areas.
      > >
      > > PeterM
      > >

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Here is an example video with a 10.5mm Nikkor at f2.8 1/30th on a
      > > 5DmkIII at 1280ISO
      > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuSb2uur0Q
      > > >
      > > > If you want to try this I think these are the best instructions so far
      > > >
      > > http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps
      > > >
      > > > You need 1000X CF cards for fast frame rates/high resolutions
      > > >
      > > > I processed the DNG files with Bridge
      > > >

      > > > Warning: may destroy your camera!
      > > >
      > > > PeterM
      > > >

      > --