      From: panovrx
      Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:56 PM
      Subject: [PanoToolsNG] 14bit raw video from Canon 5d II/III

      As has been in the news lately the Magic Lantern developers have managed to get raw video from Canon DSLRs. For panorama makers this has a lot of potential for video capture of panoramas as you have a lot more dynamic range, and you are not shortening your shutter life if you want to shoot thousands of panoramas (though it might kill your camera otherwise).

      You need fast cards to capture in the highest resolutions. I can get 24 fps at 1920 by 720 without dropping frames on my 5DmkIII but full 1080p HD is possible with more recent versions I think (this is with a 1000x CF card). You can choose custom croppings that give you eg. 1380 by 1280 pixel captures -- good for say getting most of a 10.5mm Nikkor on FF image circles. Or you can use very narrow formats eg. 360 by 1080 with higher frame rates.

      The DNGs you get (after processing the raw captures files) look and behave exactly like regular raw still images from Canon -- with all the color correction etc capabilities. I have been using Bridge to process the DNGs. The data rate is large with large file croppings -- like 15minutes on a 64Gb CF card -- though this would be not such a concern for pano makers probably

      PeterM

      No virus found in this message.