56597Re: Oculus Rift for panoramic videos etc

  • panovrx
    Apr 30, 2013
      The head tracking is working now for the VR Player viewer for the Oculus Rift -- the developer says, and he added improvements recently for better visual quality in the viewer.

      Regular 360/180 stereo pairs work well -- but with the usual issue with interactive stereo panorama viewers of rendering bad stereo alignment with ultrawide and or very tilted views. However there is another mode for stereo panoramas in VR Player where you use just a single 360 panorama and a depth map for the panorama. This gives much better alignment with interactive viewing --

      You have the problem though with real world panoramas of how to make the depth map (not a problem if you are rendering the 360 image from a 3d program -- Maya etc). Lately I have been looking at depth map conversion from real world images for stereo conversion and have had some promising results I think with the demo version of a program called @depth from Dimenco (and Photoshop). Here is a panorama with its depth map I made from a stereo pair of panoramas
      This works pretty well in the 360 depth map mode of VRPlayer

      https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=112&hilit=vrplayer&start=20#p7889 (the recent post by mediavr)
      for settings for VR Player

      For CG rendered panoramas particularly I think this image/depth map format will be a very popular content type for HMDs -- think stereo Myst

      > There is quite a lot of interest on Oculus Rift forums for getting panoramas and panoramic videos working on the Rift HMD
      > http://oculusrift.com/
      > I havent got a Rift yet but have been reading up on the specs and tools that are emerging for people with the Developer units which have been shipping for a few weeks ($300).
      > VRPlayer can play back a variety of video and panoramic formats
      > http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic