56217Re: italian law prohibiting any image containing a church being used commercially?

  • Sam Rohn
    Feb 6, 2013
      other than FOP the client is probably concerned w potential liability rather than it being specifically "illegal", someone just decides they don't want to take any chances on being sued later on

      in USA, permission to use an image of a specific exterior church in a commercial project would typically be obtained directly from the church, or maybe archdiocese etc, even though it might not be legally required for a non trademarked exterior many clients will want a location release anyway just to be safe and keep their lawyers happy

      but typically to obtain a location release for a given building and specific usage is the clients headache, not the photographers, and in a large cityscape like of manhattan for example no release is required as it might be for a close up of a specific building, no one could ever get a release for an entire cityscape for all possible usage anyway

      if they are concerned about liability, they need to contact whoever and get a release, if they don't want a church for some other reason, photoshop it out and put in another structure

      sam

      - - - - -
      Sam Rohn :: New York City
      Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
      Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been told by a potential client that they are not allowed to license
      > one of our images, because it contains a church in it.
      >
      > In a landscape / cityscape image, if there is a church visible, is it
      > legally required to secure permission from the church?
      >
      > is this for real? Or is it just another "law" that is never enforced?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic