55748Tilt shift lenses and gigapans/panoramas.

  • panovrx
    Nov 10, 2012
      Who knows about this? Suppose you have a "flat" crowd -- like this
      say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTNVK6mdrE at 0.09

      Now for simplicity's sake suppose we have an old fashioned view camera and we tilt the camera down a bit and we tilt the lens down a bit to run the focus from front to back. And we then pan the camera to make the panorama -- all tilts and pans being done in a No Parallax Point manner.

      Will half a dozen shots like this stitch simply. Or will one need skew factors or some such in PTGui etc? And will this partial panorama have the same geometry as other parts of the scene shot with a standard lens?

      Now suppose we add the complexities of modern tilt-shift SLR lenses -- like the 90mm TS-E for Canon. Because the lens elements are all forward of the tilting mechanism tilting (down say) also shifts the lens. But you should be able to bring the lens elements back to a symmetric position with respect to the sensor by shifting it (up) some. Now it is the same at the simple tilt on the view camera example -- correct?

      PeterM
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic