54669Re: "The Block" -- a social history project

  • jrgen_schrader
    Jul 1, 2012
      Full ack.
      Those overambitious projects render themselves into oblivion.
      When it takes more then a minute to just load an intro sequence with no content, then waiting again for another sequence without knowing what's gonna happen I immediately lose interest. Plus navigation is rather confusing to me.
      Nonetheless personally I am highly interested in this kind of documentation and I will work through that mess, but I can assure you, I won't like the creators for doing this to me :))

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:
      > Hi Peter,
      > Le 30 juin 2012 à 23:42, Bostjan Burger a écrit :
      > > Very interesting! Nice approach to the social geography. I have passed only few scenes but the impression is great. Quite heavy files (but with the reason)... I needed almost a (whole) minute to load a single scene ;)
      > >
      > > Bostjan
      > >
      > > http://www.sbs.com.au/
      > > (the link is at the top of the page) ... or direct
      > > http://www.sbs.com.au/theblock/#/welcome
      > >
      > > it takes a while to get past the first intro sections but then there are a lot of panoramas. It is a project by a TV channel here to document a location in inner Sydney with strong indigenous history.
      > >
      > > I made day/night panoramas for 20 locations which I stitched and gave to them but the rest is all inhouse production -- including developing their own pano viewer and navigation. It is a rather unusual navigation system but works pretty well I think. It keeps the user going around the block without being too constraining or having "next pano" hotspots everywhere.
      > >
      > > PeterM
      > This is probably a masterpiece. But Bostjan said it all: it is so long to load each of the scenes. I may come back again later to view more of the project... when I get the mood ready for waiting long enough.
      > Michel
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic