53761Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Google Art Project relaunches

  • Roger Howard
    Apr 4, 2012

      On Apr 4, 2012, at 5:14 AM, prague wrote:

      I quote tom sharpless from the discussion on the facebook pano photographers page:

      "Hey, instead of bitching, go to Google (or the White House) and sell them your superior services."

      You guys sound like sour grapes to me.

      Who did? I don't see any sour grapes in this thread.

      In the interest of full disclosure, I was directly involved in this project from my institution's end, as one of the participating museums. We were involved for reasons that are obvious - anything we can do to increase exposure of our collection to the general public is directly part of our mission (both my team's and the institution's as a whole).

      That doesn't mean Google is above criticism. And your suggestion is a throw-away - not useful, helpful or insightful. The White House got the same deal, I imagine, the rest of us did - free. We didn't go into this with the panoramic tours as a major priority - for instance, we own a number of panoramic capture systems, from 5dMkII on 360P heads to PanoScans; the benefits to most institutions, I imagine, were the same as for ours - broad exposure, aggregation of our collection with the collections of other institutions, etc.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic