53408Re: [PanoToolsNG] the smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited lens

  • Roger D Williams
    Mar 2, 2012
      I am a proud and happy Pentax owner. But I question whether a 35mm lens, even one as good as the DA f/2.8 Macro, will be suitable for panoramas. Are you aiming to shoot panoramas with very large pixel dimensions and you don't mind doing a lot of stitching? If so, you are probably OK with this lens. If you can afford to dedicate one lens to panorama taking and you (like me) want to do as little stitching as possible, then a fisheye would be better. The Pentax zoom fisheye is a great lens, optically identical with the Tokina zoom pano and very moderately priced. I have it and love it. But if you want a rectilinear lens that can be used for both normal non-pano photography and panoramas, and has relatively modest requirements in terms of the number of shots required, there is a great bargain to be had in the Samyang 14mm lens. This is a super lens and there is a Pentax version.

      Your mention of edge sharpness gave a hint that your main usage might not be panoramas, where the definition at the edges is far less important because of the overlap that "throws away" the outermost parts of the image anyway. But excuse the error if I have taken the hint the wrong way.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad