52302Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: No more Flash on mobile devices

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Nov 9, 2011
      This basically means less division of the internet, and that is good.  New chipsets for smartphones come with upto 6 cores, and match and even surpass many stationary computers.  For such devices there is no need for a watered down mobile version of Flash.  The full version can easily be used.

      I still would have liked to see the promised mobile version of Flash 11 which was promised in the first quarter of next year, but this is probably the best path.

      Trausti

      On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

      On 9 Nov 2011, at 11:58, Hans wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> Not sure whether this is good or bad:
      >>
      >> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclusive-adobe-ceases-development-on-mobile-browser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226
      >>

      > I am sorry but what are they actually talking about.
      >
      > The current flash we use on Android tablets and smart phones is the standard Flash 11.
      > As far as I know Mobile Flash is something different for smaller older phones and it has never supported panoramas.
      >
      > Hans

      From the linked article:

      "Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates."

      Sounds like it's all versions of Flash on mobile devices, not the stripped down version of Flash that used to be all you could get.

      Ian

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic