52273Re: OT - creating spatial models from 3 panoramas

  • enridp
    Nov 8, 2011
      I was looking for a tutorial using tgi3D with panoramas but I couldn't find anything.
      I don't have too much experience in 3D, what is the workflow for making a 3D environment using a panorama?
      Do we need to import the 6 cube faces and make a 3D cube in sketchup? why we need 3 panoramas and how can we work with them together? I'm a bit lost :(

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

      > På Fri, 04 Nov 2011 13:07:38 +0100, skrev enridp <enridp@...>:
      >
      > > I found these DVDs if anyone is interested:
      > > http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/58/Greg-Downing
      > >
      > > But it would be nice to have an updated tutorial, I guess today there are many advances in hardware and software which can help to make the same thing with less effort and in less time.
      >
      > Not really. Quite the opposite actually ;)
      > Unless you're the owner of an Autodesk product like Max or Maya?
      > Then you can get access to (buy?) ImageModeler, which is what Downing was using in those tuts.
      > I've used ImageModeler for many years, but when it (Realviz) was bought by Autodesk things started to happen. For a while it was available freely, but now it is not possible to buy unless yo're already a paying customer, which I'm not.
      > My version cannot use panos as source, but the Autodesk version I tested with that feature was extremely buggy and crashed all the time. At the same time they had removed some of the export formats! I never upgraded, and then the doors were closed.
      > Photomodeler is another similar tool.
      > Canoma is another oldtime favourite, swallowed by Adobe, and never seen again thereafter, unfortunately. It was very inspired by Debevec and that Campanile movie, and very fun to use :).
      > My favourite today is SketchUp with the PhotoScan plugin from tgi3d.
      > You'll find tons of tutorials on YouTube.
      > Erik Leeman is a brand new SketchUp user (but long time 3D and pano experience), and here are some of his pano/cubefaces->3D pictures on Flickr:
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/6301352751/in/photostream/
      > Looks very good :)
      >
      > All those mentioned above are polygonal/imagemapping photogrammetry tools, but there are also a type called point-cloud tools. Laser scanning and software/photo-based scanners typically end up with lots and lots of data, and usually also lots of holes.
      >

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "enridp" <enridp@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Wow ! this is incredible, and it's from 10 years ago (I think):
      > >> http://www.gregdowning.com/pimp/index.htm
      > >>
      > >> Also this has a really great transition between 3D and Photo:
      > >> http://www.gregdowning.com/3dqtvr/index.html
      > >>
      > >> Does somebody know a detailed tutorial for making things like that?

      > Bjørn K Nilssen - bk@... - 3D and panoramas

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic