50423Re: New Guy Getting Started

  • dorindxn
    Jul 2 4:24 PM
      Yes, Erik is absolutelly right the stitched 3D panoramas are more difficult than the stitchless,

      Before to do the stitchless 3D panos with two cameras, back in march 2008, I presented here
      http://www.3dphoto.net/forum/index.php/topic,1238.0.html
      my idea to take 3D panoramas with a single camera and NodalNinja 3, at that time I was producing only the stitched kind of 3D panos.

      cheers,
      Dorin
      http://www.livepanoramas.com

      > Am 02.07.2011 01:11, schrieb markgambier:
      > > New to the group here and looking for some tips on getting started.
      >
      > Welcome!
      >
      > > - Which stitchware do people recommend for a novice photographer/pano
      > > maker? This is going to be a hobby, not a profession. But I don't
      > > want to work with dated, low-level software that lacks some decent
      > > capabilities and features either.
      >
      > If you are going to stitch spherical panoramas you are limited to a
      > small number of programs: hugin, PTGui, autopano pro and Autodesk
      > Stitcher are the main ones. I guess most members here use hugin and PTGui.
      >
      > > - What is the best number of photos to take and at what angle to make
      > > a good 360 x 360 spherical pano?
      >
      > There is nothing like a 360°x360° spherical. 360° by 180° define a
      > sphere completely. The number of images you need depends on the used
      > lens and camera. The best tradeoff between number of images and final
      > resolution you get with a fisheye lens which covers the full frame of
      > your particular camera. This would be about 10mm focal length for a
      > APS-C sized DSLR or about 15mm for a full frame DSLR. There are fisheye
      > adapters for compact cameras as well.
      >
      > > - I want to shoot the inside of a 60' by 30'room with a 12' ceiling.
      > > Do I just need to make sure there is plenty of overlap from side to
      > > side and top to bottom for each picture?
      >
      > You need to use a well set up spherical panorama head (a pan-tilt head)
      > in order to shoot all images from the same point (called the
      > no-parallax-point). Otherwise you get parallax between adjacent images
      > which will give you a hard time stitching the images or render the
      > result even completely unusable.
      >
      > > - Is some stitchware better for spherical panos vs cylinder?
      >
      > There are numerous panorama stitchers but only the above mentioned are
      > versatile enough to stitch all kinds of panoramas - including spherical.
      >
      > > Also, does anyone have any experience in 3D/anaglyph (red/cyan)
      > > panos? I have a FujiFilm 3D Stereo W1 camera which is pretty much a
      > > point and shoot and have seen 3D panos before. Think it would be fun
      > > to make.
      >
      > 3D spherical panoramas are a challenge, at least the stitched variant
      > (Dorin has developped a way to use them stitchless). Definitely nothing
      > for the beginner. But once you have managed to get reasonable results
      > with normal sphericals you can find much knowledge here. Especially Wim
      > Koorneef has a lot of experience.
      >
      > As a starting point perhaps you have a look at: http://wiki.panotools.org/
      >
      > A nice collection of tutorials can be found on
      > http://www.johnhpanos.com/tuts.htm
      > and specifically for PTGui on
      > http://www.ptgui.com/examples/
      >
      > Have fun