50406Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Anyone use a small netbook with remote software?

  • Christian Bloch
    Jul 1, 2011
      The problem is, that the iPhone does not have a real USB controller chip, so even with the camera kit it can only download images, but not encode and send any controlling signals. I doubt we will see a Kickstarter project of a real USB-controller-dongle, because that would require Apple's approval (unlikely) or lots of money to for legal fees.

      We're having the Open Camera Controller (OCC) project over at www.hdrlabs.com/occ , that uses a Nintendo DS for bracketing. Can build it yourself for about $80 total (cheaper if you already have a board to load programs on he Arduino microcontroller), or you can order one from forum member Achim who has a more experience with the solder iron. But it's limited so far to releasing timed exposures in bulb mode. So, it's slower than the Promote and doesn't have as wide of a bracketing range. There are side branches of adding a USB chip, and a very recent push to take the project off the Nintendo platform into the iOS and Android world.

      Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

      Best,
      Blochi

      On Jun 30, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:

      > You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
      > solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
      > Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
      > USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
      > takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic