49961Quest for effective high-res 360x180 VR pano distribution

  • erik_leeman
    Jun 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      In an effort to avoid competiton by the likes of Google I'm still trying to find an efficient way to get full screen high resolution VR images on distant computers.

      My 10MB 'direct to full screen' testing didn't go down too well for some of you, especially for those on the other side of the globe, so this time I'm trying to find out if using Pano2VR's multiresolution feature is a better strategy.

      Of course a fast internet connection doesn't do much good when intercontinental routes are as congested as they apparently are (thanks YouTube & co!), so if you are based far far away from Amsterdam loading speed will remain an issue.
      A solution to that particular problem would be to pay for the services of mirroring servers like Amazon or Akamai, but I don't think that's an option for many of us.

      For this test I am concentrating on transport and image quality only, the challenge of persuading viewers to click that full screen button will have to be dealt with some other time.

      After some experiments I settled on the following settings for Pano2VR for my Canon 5D + 15mm Fisheye equirectangulars:

      Multi resolution cube face levels: 1530 - 2550 - 3570
      Bias: 0.35
      Tile size: 510 with 1 px overlap (giving 512x512 pixel tiles)
      Interpolator: Lanczos 2
      initial pano window: 1000x540
      initial vertical FoV: 60 degrees
      minimum vFoV: 37.5 degrees (zoomed in)
      maximum vFoV: 80 degrees (zoomed out)

      This works well on my 1920x1200 screen, hopefully it also does so on other screen sizes.

      Here are links to a number of test pano's treated this way:

      Please please click that full screen button, that's how they are intended to be seen!
      Yes, there's a lot of aliasing ('shimmering'), but that's something we'll have to live with for at least the next year or two if we want sharp and highly detailed images now. For me blurring the sh*t out of them is no option.

      And no, there is no option to view them on hand held devices as this test is about high resolution work for which they are completely unsuitable.

      Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

      Erik Leeman

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/> <http://www.erikleeman.com/>
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic