49541Re: [PanoToolsNG] Learned from the List

  • Roger D. Williams
    May 2, 2011
      On Tue, 03 May 2011 04:48:15 +0900, Briar <briar_bentley@...> wrote:

      > Amazing how quickly other peoples' situation goes to the back of our
      > minds.
      > The international news no longer concentrates on the efforts of the brave
      > folk who still battle with the nuclear plants in your country. But thank
      > goodness you still have somewhere like this to "rest and renew"
      >

      > My question, and admiration for your pan is how you manage to set it so
      > there is no distortion when moving up or down. In most pans a building
      > will
      > "bend" towards the centre as you move higher up. In this everything
      > remains
      > vertical. How?

      Thanks for the feedback, Briar. Since I see from a later post that you use
      DevalVR, as I do, I am not sure what you mean about the "bending" of
      verticals. I have only ever seen this once with DevalVR, when I used it
      to view a panorama taken with a rotary camera that generates cylindrical
      projections by default. If you are taking cylindrical panoramas, then
      DevalVR will normally default to treating them as spherical projections,
      and this bends the verticals as you near the top and bottom of the image.

      I haven't updated DevalVR recently, so it may well be coping properly
      with cylindrical projections by now. The author kindly provided me with
      a version that DID handle them properly, but I overwrote it with a later
      upgrade that lacked this ability and as I no longer generate cylindrical
      projections I haven't done anything about it.

      Other than that I can't think what might be responsible for "bending," as
      the verticals always remain straight even as they splay outwards on
      looking up (and cave inwards on looking down, of course).

      As a matter of interest, the vertical were very hard to get right on this
      panorama, as there are very few readily identifiable true verticals...
      and mostly on rather remote sculptures.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com