47906Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Google Art Project

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Feb 3, 2011
      På Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:51:23 +0100, skrev prague <360cities@...>:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo Hoeben" <aldo@...> wrote:
      >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXoIkpitSs
      >> Question remains: what happened to the images? Operator
      >> incompetence? Are Ladybugs really that hard to work with?
      > Yes.
      > At least, if the ladybug3 is anything like the ladybug2 which I used extensively over one week with Bill Meikle here in prague, Yes. The controls are not intuitive. They capture about a gigabyte every 30 seconds (literally) and the plug likes to come disconnected, in which case you lose the whole shot. Manipulating the images afterwards for color - possible in theory but they don't provide a way to do that, you have to figure it out for yourself. Honestly I didn't come across a more overhyped and unreliable piece of equipment. I guesss Point Grey makes stuff for the military and this ladybug is sort of a footnote side project kind of thing for them.

      Another negative side effect from using that Ladybug is that the eye height gets far too high. It looks really weird in most museums that you have to look down at all but the largest paintings. Makes me feel like a friend of mine, who is 213cm tall ;)
      The 2D/giga images are great though, as well as the text/info.

      Strangely enough almost all comments on Twitter that I have seen are very positive (it even trended ww a couple of days ago).
      Unlike TheDaily, which gets mainly luke to negative comments in general (not seen one negative comment on the 360s though :)

      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic