47889Re: Google Art Project

  • prague
    Feb 3 1:51 AM

      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXoIkpitSs
      > Question remains: what happened to the images? Operator
      > incompetence? Are Ladybugs really that hard to work with?

      Yes.

      At least, if the ladybug3 is anything like the ladybug2 which I used extensively over one week with Bill Meikle here in prague, Yes. The controls are not intuitive. They capture about a gigabyte every 30 seconds (literally) and the plug likes to come disconnected, in which case you lose the whole shot. Manipulating the images afterwards for color - possible in theory but they don't provide a way to do that, you have to figure it out for yourself. Honestly I didn't come across a more overhyped and unreliable piece of equipment. I guesss Point Grey makes stuff for the military and this ladybug is sort of a footnote side project kind of thing for them.

      It's like using a nuclear bomb to heat your children's bedroom. With no sunglasses.

      Disclosure: I'm building my own spherical video camera but it's been not much more than a very spare-time side project for a few years now. :-P At least I didn't drop 10 large, to dabble in pano video.

      Jeffrey
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic