47823Re: Google Art Project

  • Douglas Cape
    Feb 1, 2011
      The following is my reply to the Guardian's Jonathan Jones article
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2011/feb/01/google-art-project-painting-reproduction

      I wonder whether Jonathan Jones has actualy visited the Google National Gallery Art Project Site or just been taken in by the The Google "innovations". Perhaps he has never see a high resolution photograph or panorama on a computer before.
      The quality of the panoramas on the Google site are appalling, grainy and fuzzy with jpeg artefacts and unpleasant flare. There are broken doorways, ceilings and floors, and yes you can see the joins between the photographs. The insipid colour balance is an insult to modern photography and totally inaccurate. The use of Google Street View navigation is inappropriate inside a Gallery, jerky and taking you to obscure corners. The panorama close ups of the paintings are not currently working on my computer.
      This project is currently an insult to the Gallery and deserves to fail. To see what high resolution panoramas can accomplish please visit http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/peterdoig/rooms/
      which has been online for several years.
      Douglas Cape
      Director of Photography Z360
      http://www.z360.com
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic