47793Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Future of VR Panoramas - WAS: Apple dropped QTVR > VRP

  • Bostjan Burger
    Jan 31, 2011
      My goal to shot VRPs is to use them as an e-learning tool. From that point of
      view I needed to use Slovene as a prime language. When I started with VRPs I
      couldn't imagine how I can use a term 'panorama' of a cave or interior as a
      small room. I liked the Immersive image more, so I started to think what name
      would be fine in Slovenian language. Technically the base for a Virtual Reality
      Panorama is a 360° panorama which is a flat 2D image. After the conversion into
      the display on a screen we get the feeling of the space and mental projection of
      the 3D image. But it is still only a 2D which tricks our mental projection as
      that we are in the middle of the space which visual information is projected
      from our nodal point (or no parallax point).
      sounds strange? Right? I shot quite a number of object VRs (OVRs) ten years ago
      and had a dilemma how to name that, so I was more precise with the term: '360°
      spatial image' and 'object spatial image'. Both terms are translated directly
      from Slovene to English just to get the idea. In English I use Virtual Reality
      Panorama (VRP) and Object Virtual Reality (OVP). I used that terms in a dozen of
      international geography symposiums and nobody argued against that terms… and
      believe me that geographers can be very critical with the terms. However I am
      not a photographer and don't consider a VRPs as a photography but more part of
      GIS when georeferenced. The camera is only a tool to me as it is a GPS which is
      a must have when shooting a VRP.
      The Slovenian term »Prostorska slika« is used as a standard since the late
      90-ies and I have noticed that is used also in some neighbor countries… at least
      among geographers.
      I would suggest, as Don proposed, the one worldwide term but not necessarily in
      What is a French term for a Virtual Reality Panorama? …or as example German?
      Most of VR technology and the support are coming from Europe... what something
      like Esperanto...latin? What about the largest world languages - Indian or
      Chinese (now I am prvoking ;) )

    • Show all 56 messages in this topic