47306Re: What is the actual Field of View?

  • panovrx
    Jan 6, 2011
      Some lenses eg. the 10.5mm Nikkor on full frame can give you a good stitch with a fairly wide range of fov because of the magnification effects of a, b and c eg. from 190 to 200. So I usually force the optimizer to accept a fov of 196 and an a of -0.16 until towards the end of the optimisation process. Only after I iterate point pair elimination and get the error average down to 3 or 4 pixels do I start to optimise fov and a, b and c generally. But for many purposes a wide fov range of values might look ok with that lens.

      PeterM

      > Am 06.01.2011 21:18, schrieb engstrom_henrik:
      >
      > > This gives a nominal hfov of 56.3 deg, not 57.5. It is still not
      > > exactly the same as the measured 55.5, but closer. The difference in
      > > focal length has dropped to 1.7%, compared to the previous 4%.
      >
      > The datasheet states a certain amount of barrel distortion, which
      > changes the actual FoV compared to the theoretical value you get from
      > focal length.
      >
      > > I have considered using zoom lenses so one can fine-tune the hfov
      > > before mounting them. But the zoom lenses I have seen have so much
      > > more lens distortion then fix focal lenses so this will be a last
      > > resort.
      >
      > Will the images of this lenses actually be stitched using one of the
      > panotools based stitchers (hugin, PTGui...) or will they be used
      > otherwise? Panotools lens correction model can very well deal even with
      > strong and unusal distortions. See
      > http://wiki.panotools.org/Lens_correction_model for details.
      >
      > --
      > Erik Krause