47208Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Best settings for autopano to connect all images?

  • Manfred Kröger
    Jan 3, 2011
      Hi Jeffrey,

      yes, I still use this outdated software because the results are better.
      At least for the images I tend to shoot (outdoors, large mosaics, quite
      long and focal length when compared with all the fish eye lenses lots of
      people here use).

      Actually I do use PTGui. It's definitely good to align the images for a
      first time. It's really fast! Then I get the links to the overlapping
      image pairs. At that point, if there are overlapping images without CPs,
      it's the best idea to let autopano find CPs, with a "size" parameter
      value set to 1500 or 2500. That may help a bit but far too often that is
      where my (tedious mouse clicking) nightmare begins. :-(

      I have to click on the link to "1 and 2" and "2 and 3"... and try
      PTGui... CTRL-SHIFT-G ... For some of the overlapping image pairs it can
      find control points but if it does not find any I have to run autopano
      on those two current images: click on "control points" menu ... click on
      "autopano image 1 and 2" menu entry ... and ... wait ... because ...
      with ... a ... size ... parameter ... value ... of ... 2500 ... or ...
      5000 ... this ... will ... take ... a ... while. :-(

      I also use a macro recorder which can simulate the clicking and mouse
      movements while I sleep.

      But that can't be it! This can't be the state-of-the-art workflow nowadays.

      I know I have to set the control points by myself, but I don't want to
      do this for that many overlapping images. Actually, why should I do
      this? The software *can* find (most of) the control points when *it is
      used in a special way*. So, the software *should* be able to help me.

      PTGui does not support this workflow at all (no configurable CP
      generator, no automatic function to do this for all unlinked image pairs
      although all the information it needs are available to it) and I can't
      find the right settings for autopano which, by looking at the
      documentation, should do exactly what I want to do: Build a list of
      "interesting" points for all images and try to see for *all* image pairs
      if they are linked.

      Manfred