44918Re: [PanoToolsNG] new jpeg alternative

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Oct 1, 2010
      På Fri, 01 Oct 2010 20:33:43 +0200, skrev Trausti Hraunfjord
      <trausti.hraunfjord@...>:

      > :) 75% and more cut in size can be achieved on some images. 4mb image
      > could end up being only 1mb. That would be a huge improvement.
      >
      > Is this the "FINAL MAXIMUM POSSIBLE" compression and quality achievable
      > with
      > this not yet available format?
      >
      > Or is this just the beginning of the format that might be improved upon
      > later on?
      >
      > Kind of like buying the best available consumer computer of today, and
      > expecting it to be the best of the best... for many years to come... ?
      >
      > Of course it is not perfect, but it is a good alternative, and I am sure
      > that once it is out and about, it will evolve and become better. I wish
      > we
      > were already there, where it was perfect, and were everything else in the
      > digital and physical world was perfect... but I suspect we will have to
      > wait
      > a little for that to become the reality.

      It will always take many years before a new format will be fully
      integrated. Look at how many years it took for png to be supported
      everywhere.
      IMO it's a good initiative, and at this time it's probably quite easy to
      make changes, like upping the size limit, bit depth options etc?

      Lucky it wasn't Steve Jobs and Apple that "invented" this new format!
      Then Apple would probably have stopped supporting jpg within a few months
      ;)

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic