4413Re: HDR and RAW processing

  • Juergen Schrader
    Dec 1, 2006
      Well, I haven't yet read the articles but from my own worflow I know
      that you usually wouldn't touch exposure sliders when you have real
      backeted shots (preferably I shoot them as JPGs).

      You only fiddle with the sliders if you want to get "artificially"
      bracketed shots from a single RAW exposure. But that's a different
      (and long) story ;).

      Just try it out and you will see.

      Cheers
      J├╝rgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udedomenico" <udedomenico@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > In Panotools Florian Bertzbach recommends the following steps for a
      > simple and effective approach to RAW extraction:
      > http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?
      > title=Working_with_RAW_files_in_CS2
      >
      > In the same site Eric Krause tells us about dynamic extraction fro
      > RAW files:
      > http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?
      > title=RAW_dynamic_range_extraction
      >
      > This information is extremely useful to me but I seem to be missing
      > very simple detail which is giving me headache in my experiments,
      and
      > it's regarding RAW bracketed images:
      >
      > For instance in the last link I read:
      > "...To determine this point draw up and down the exposure slider.
      > ..."
      >
      > The problem I see in my experiments is as follows:
      > 1] I shoot in bracketing and RAW format
      > 2] When I go and treat RAW files I face a serious problem with
      > exposure.
      > In fact the exposure should be fixed to say for instance 0,-2, +2.
      > If I do not do that then later on when I go and merge the 3 pics
      > together the results will be very poor as the dynamic range is not
      > well balanced.
      >
      > If I do not blend 3 pics and I use only one then the high dynamic
      > range I can achieve is good (one way or the other, especially
      thanks
      > for the great tips in panotools).
      > But some time (especially as far as I can see indoor pics, you
      really
      > need to use bracketing)
      >

      > So to cut the long story short, if you have 3 pics (0,-2,+2) my
      guess
      > is that the exposure value should be kept strictly 0,-2,+2 and I
      > should not be playing with the exposure slider.
      > Am I correct?
      >
      > Thanks in advance to you all.
      > Dedo

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic