42247Re:Lone Pine Lake and Whitney Portal

  • Paul Fretheim
    Jun 3, 2010
      There are several views of Lone Pine Lake on my new product, "Take Home
      Mt. Whitney in Virtual Reality."

      There is a tremendous amount of snow this year and the snowpack is deep
      and ubiquitous for this time of year. I live in Independence, which is
      a popular resupply point for trekkers on the Pacific Crest Trail. I
      have yet to see my first trekker this spring.

      There is a very high and difficult pass between the Mt. Whitney area and
      Kearsarge Pass, which is the pass above Independence. The dangerous
      pass is Forester Pass which is just about exactly 4,000 meters high nad
      lies on the Kings/Kern divide. It's the highest pass on the trail
      between Mexico and Canada.

      I plan to cross it later this summer. I have been to the foot of the
      pass on both sides, but never over it. There are parts of the pass that
      require ice axes and glacier travel skills when the switchbacks are
      still covered with the ice clad drifts of the winter snowpack, as they
      must be now, June 3rd.

      I talked to a guy last spring who had saved a young woman's life after
      she managed to self arrest at the edge of a big sheer drop but could not
      climb back up. She had lost her footing while crossing one of the snow
      covered sections of the trail. He lowered a rope down and with a few
      people pulling they managed to pull her back up to a safer location. If
      she had not been carrying an ice ax which she was able to use for self
      arrest she would have catapulted over the edge to her death.

      http://inyopro.com/images/sheperds_alpine_meadow.html

      http://inyopro.com/images/tyndall_plateau_boulders.html

      http://inyopro.com/images/overlooking_forester_pass.html
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic