31100sears tower glass box on the 103rd floor
- Jul 28, 2009Ok, I did it.
1. Wait in 1/2 hour line with 2 little kids in (and out of) stroller in
2. Take elevator DOWN. Wait in a second line in basement, in the name of
security - metal detector, etc. another half hour or so. 1 kid is now
3. through the metal detector, now there is a movie - some historical short
film about the tower. our two babies aren't so interested in this. however
it's required. only if you pay EXTRA you are able to NOT WATCH the movie :-D
:-D So instead we wait outside. we cannot go straight to the elevator. only
those who bought the "fast pass" can really skip it. We wait outside until
4. another pretty short line to the elevator.
5. Elevator going up. Breast feeding the little one to avoid painful ears.
The bigger one sleeps.
6. At the top! It's a busy day (monday morning!). Lots and lots of people.
Look for the glass box.
7. Another line. Everyone wants to see the damn glass box. Is it worth it?
I'm guessing not.
8. Our line halts. Some video camera man has cut to the front and has his
tripod set up with the blessing of the security guards.
9. Line isn't moving. lots of people in front. We switch to another line.
(there are 3 of these windows - 1 is out of order)
10. Finally. At the edge. This won't be scary at all, I think to myself.
Camera ready. (no tripod)
Looking down.... Holy shit, this is scary. Whooooaaaa this is really
scary!!! Take a very cautious step, and another. Ohmygod this is crazy.
Wow... Snap snap snap snap.
I shot about 3 or 4 panos inside the box. handheld. Lots of glare on the
nadir shot. We'll see. I'm on holiday. I'll stitch it when I get home. Soon!
It was worth the wait :-) If any chicago folks want to do it, I'd advise
getting there before it opens - the wait really is long. But yes, it's worth
www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- Next post in topic >>