2947Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Flat pano(zoomify)comments please?

  • Roger Howard
    Oct 2, 2006
      On Mon, October 2, 2006 10:00 am, Yiorgos Teo wrote:
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
      > images, similar to
      >> Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
      > alternatives..
      >>

      > There is an open source project IIPimage:
      > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
      >
      > The processing is done on the server and the image is
      > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
      > is in javascript.

      Just an FYI, I worked with an IIP server - LivePicture Zoom Image Server,
      later renamed MGI and then iSeeMedia Zoom Server. We used several
      different client technologies with it...

      > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
      > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
      > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

      Frankly I'd expect Zoomify to be lighter - all the tiles are
      precomputed/created, rather than having to be extracted in realtime. In
      the end, it's just http traffic to small JPEG files, albeit lots of them -
      but that's not real different from IIP, except there's more processing on
      the server.

      With IIP servers, hwoever, there is possibly more you can do. I used our
      IIP server to apply sharpening, a basic gamma transform, and some other
      simple image transformations. With Zoomify, you get only what's already in
      the tiles.

      > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
      > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
      > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
      > called VIPS:
      > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
      >
      > It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
      > of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
      > on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
      > on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
      > around 3GB.
      >
      > VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
      > Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
      > if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

      VIPS is a great tool for anyone working with huge image datasets... very
      neat app, with a good little community of very technical people supporting
      it.

      > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
      > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
      >
      > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
      > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
      > in Zoomify.

      Awesome!

      -Rh

      Note: This message is intended solely for consumption on
      PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com and any distribution elsewhere is
      unauthorized.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic