      From: Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 2:26:06 PM
      Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PTShift

      Sacha Griffin wrote:

      > I'd suggest using another program, especially a raw convertor such as adobe
      > raw. Perhaps adobes standalone dng convertor can do this.

      No, the DNG converter converts from camera raw to DNG raw, nothing else.

      > You can get close with ptshift, but no where near as good as doing it in
      > raw.

      Depends. If the CA is considerably larger than the bayer pattern the
      correction can be applied to jpegs with almost similar effect. Only if
      the CA is of the strange type (see
      http://wiki. panotools. org/TCA#Strange_ Example ) it is not correctable..

      > Plus, it is very difficult to discover the proper values without an
      > interactive GUI.

      PTShift *is* the interactive GUI for panotools radial shift ;-)

      > Since you apparently already have cs4, the raw convertor will do you good.

      That's true most of the time. It does a linear correction only opposed
      to radial shift, which allows for a polynomial correction curve.
      However, a linear correction is sufficient in almost all cases.

      There is BTW a (command line) tool in the hugin package called
      tca_correct which allows for fully automatic determination of polynomial
      TCA correction parameters.

      best regards