26629Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panorama from Google Earth

  • Caroling Geary
    Feb 3, 2009
      I said I was on a Mac. That is Macintosh. OS X 4.11.
      I have found a program:
      Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/
      Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon

      Also:
      Library/LaunchDaemons/com.wdc.drivemanagerservice.plist

      Here is the Google Update Engine page:
      http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/

      The Google info doesn't address me, the user, it talks to a
      developer. This is what it says:
      "At a high level, Update Engine is very simple. It talks to a server
      to determine if installed software needs to be updated, and if so, it
      downloads and installs the new software."

      That doesn't say it talks to the user. I'm not convinced that Hans is
      right, that I get asked if I want the update, necessarily.

      On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Ronald wrote:

      > Or you can uninstall it in the add/remove programs section of your
      > control panel.
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Caroling Geary <caroling@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> How about the new updating process for getting Google Earth 5? At
      >> least on my Mac it is now very intrusive. I had to update from
      >> Google Earth 4.xxx
      >> I really didn't like what Google made me do. Instead of a direct
      >> download, it said it had devised a better way, where it downloads a
      >> program that always runs on my computer and provides automatic
      >> updates. It didn't leave me an alternative, so I said OK. Now I've
      >> got a googling program with unknown and unlimited access to my
      >> computer.
      >>
      >> On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
      >>
      >>> I raised concerns about Google's "fine print" 18 months ago.
      >>
      >> Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

      Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic