18560[PanoToolsNG] Re: Fast Gigapixel Stitching on the Playstation 3

  • alexandre jenny
    Mar 8, 2008
      Sony cell's processor is a good processor but it should be more viewed as
      a super GPU than a real CPU. But I'm a bit disapointed about this approach
      from Mr Dersch ... Everyone here has a big graphic card that is far better
      for any image
      manipulation than any CPU will ever be. And stitching is just done in CPU.
      I would not spend such developpement time on PS3 stitching and would
      concentrate
      on using standard GPU to accelerate that. Interface to do that are now
      stable ( CUDA for
      example ), and every paper talking about GPU processing show factor from 10x
      to 100x ...
      Why spend so much time with a PS3 when we can do better with the GPU of the
      computer.
      ( example : nvidia series 7000, 8000 are enough and technics are cross
      plateform ... ).
      Our internal experimentation about that shows that with GPU processing, a
      10x factor is an
      average of what you can get.
      As a game programmer, I should be happy about this use of PS3, but in fact
      not.
      It's perhaps also because of that history that I don't like Sony PS*. It's
      really a nightmare to
      code well. Before doing the game, you that to create the tools to do it : no
      real dev workflow
      are provided like remote debugger, etc. XBOX is far easier to code with.
      Anyway, off topic.

      Alexandre Jenny
      Kolor

      _____