15088Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 40D vs XTi for panos

  • Luca Vascon
    Nov 29, 2007
      Well, I used them all. 40D is an ASTONISHING IMPROVEMENT in terms of
      usability ( software interface) and what's more importat, SENSOR.
      Files are better, sharper, 14bits you can really feel. Only better raws
      I've seen in term of contrast handling are fuji ones.
      Well, it is also faster, but I don't give a damn about it. Only got it
      cause my 20D is at the end of phisycal life (long life to it!) since ity
      is the second turn of folder names it does.
      I did not expected SUCH an improvement. Gap between 10D and 20D was smaller.
      40D is smoother and more silent than the 20, but not as quite as the 10D
      I've to say.
      400D is a small camera, unconfortable to the hand, with the best sensor
      of the category, but it feels like a plastic toy if compared to Nikon
      counterpart. It would be my choice, aex equo with the Sony, for a
      bargain camera. 18-55Canon is one of the crappiest lens I've seen.
      Good 2nd body or travel camera, but as I use a camera it would not
      survive more than 1 year.
      When I think to a PRO body I think about hits, moisture, shocks, rain,
      drops, sand, and drops again, dirt and seafoam -fog. I live in Venice.
      Camera comes with me. :-)

      robert_harshman ha scritto:

      > Hi Roger,
      >
      > It is a tough choice as you could buy two Xti's for the price of one
      > 40D.
      >
      > I got the XTi for pano use as soon as it came out, the dust reduction
      > function was why I got it over a 30D.
      >
      > Now that the 40D has this feature too, it's much closer but I also
      > have to say go for the 40D.
      >
      > As noted, the live preview could be of great use, but perhaps even
      > more useful is the larger buffer and faster write speeds of the 40D.
      > When using the XTi and bracketing I often find myself having to wait
      > for the buffer to clear. On a partly cloudy day or in a active
      > environment this is obviously an issue.
      >
      > I'm planning on getting a 40D soon myself to replace the XTi as my
      > main pano camera.
      >
      > And could you use a Xti or 40D interchangeably on a precision head,
      > don't think so if your looking for precise alignment as the distance
      > from the bottom to the center of the lens appears to me to be at
      > least 2mm or more different.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Robert

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic