12903Re: 375 panos from ANWR

  • matt_nolan_uaf
    Sep 17, 2007
      Hi R. I have received a lot of useful suggestions for workflow, and
      I'm still trying to work through them given my own constraints and
      needs.

      In short, I'm using PTgui Pro exclusively, and using it in manual
      mode. I'm working on calibrating my lens well enough so that I only
      need several control points per pair of images, and use these only to
      optimize the image alignment since the lens characteristics are already
      defined. Using automatic control points gives unpredictable results,
      and usually soaks up as much time in checking them as picking manual
      ones. I realized in this process that my shooting technique was
      flawed, in that I did not keep my monopod vertical enough or my
      segments equal enough for perfect stitching. Both are required, the
      verticalness to keep the NPP stationary and the segments equal because
      the NPP for fisheye lenses depends on angle. The idea is if the
      segments are equal, then the stitching occurs at the same angle in each
      and that a perfect stitch can be achieved. I'm also learning about
      exposure and lens compensations. I'm using ACDSee's and Photoshop
      CS2's RAW tools for this. Though I find ACDSee easier to use, I like
      Photoshop better because it always shows what's happening in the
      histogram. The TCA correction is also better in Photoshop I think. I
      havent yet gotten to the point to correct sensor dust, but I'm getting
      there. I've almost got the stitching part solved. In addition to the
      lens calibration trick, selecting control points on the distant horizon
      seems to work great, as well as using Smartblend to cover up the
      unavoidable stitching issues. I've got about 20 panoramas stitched
      now, none of which I consider in final form yet.
      http://www.uaf.edu/water/faculty/nolan/mccall/anwrpanos/demo.htm
      Please have a look, but I'd suggest holding off on critiques until I
      get them to a point where I've tried to deal with all of things I
      already know I need to deal with, at which point I'll be happy to get
      feedback. I used pano2VR for the Flash encoding; I also tried
      flashpanoramas, but it was a little more complicated than I could
      handle at the time.
      Cheers
      Matt

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "R Stoney" <rsstoney@...> wrote:

      > Matt, That sounds like exactly what I would love to do!
      > I have just returned from a cross country road trip where I shot a
      > bunch of 360's in some of our National Parks. I am sitting here with a
      > hard drive full and no stitching workflow put together yet. I have
      > tried Realviz Stitcher, but my old computer cannot complete a full
      > resolution stitch, it just locks up. I have had some success with
      > PTGui and limited success with Hugin. I am really interested to hear
      > some anwers to your inquiry. Would some experienced panagraphers offer
      > their workflow as suggestions?

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic