12539Re: New Panoramas for critique

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Sep 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mahmood,
      >
      > I think you files will be much smaller if you restrict sharpening to
      areas
      > that will really benefit from it. Viewing the panos from a pc
      without video
      > card, I see a lot of "shimmering" (which is usually caused by
      sharpening) on
      > the water and ground. Your file size will be greatly reduced if you
      leave
      > those areas unsharpened. I also always leave the sky unsharpened.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Carel Struycken

      Thanks Carel for your advise.
      It actually makes sense not to use sharpening on water and sky, a very
      good point that can both lower the shimmering when moving on some
      computers and reduce the file size. I have to put it into practice to
      see how much extra time it would take to exclude sky/water and how
      much it reduces the size.
      The shimmering problem is something that I don't see at all on my
      computer when using DevalVR and just a little when using QT, only when
      I move the panorama but I can imagine that it can be a bigger problem
      on some systems.
      I will definitely use your advise in some of (if not all of) my future
      works.

      Thanks,
      Mahmood
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic