12535Re: 375 panos from ANWR

  • Juergen Schrader
    Aug 31, 2007
      Great project, Matt.
      What I really like about panoramas is that one can get a documentary
      view of regions that are more or less out of reach. Thanks for
      sharing and please keep em coming.

      I don't know how other RAW tools handle this issue but one thing I
      like most about Adobes Lightroom is that you can easily remove sensor
      dust and apply the removal settings of a single picture to as many
      pictures as you like. This comes very handy if your sensor is not the
      cleanest and one needs to develop a huge amount of pictures with
      skies in it.

      Cheers
      Juergen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "matt_nolan_uaf" <matt.nolan@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > nodal slide, with the camera angled slightly down so that no nadir
      > shot was needed, hopefully ensuring a reasonably accurate
      vegetation
      > stitch with a small footprint (the bail of the walking stick), and
      > one zenith shot made by tilting the camera up and moving the
      monopod
      > a camera width to the side to account for the shift in lens
      position
      > (thinking that parallex errors are minimal with such distant
      > subjects). The higher focal length panos were taken on a Gitzo
      > tripod with RRS pano gear or Seitz motor drive. I shot in RAW
      > compressed mode for nearly everything, including the HDR panoramas.
      >
      > The purpose of these panoramas was two-fold. First was scientific,
      > I'm trying to document the state of the Arctic in this region as
      part
      > of the 4th International Polar Year (www.ipy.org) now ongoing and
      use
      > them in support of various scientific tasks. Second was for
      > outreach, to create an online panoramic environment where folks can
      > travel along with us, from the coastal plain through ice age
      moraines
      > through modern moraines up onto glaciers and up to the highest
      peaks,
      > jumping from one pano to the next via embedded hyperlinks. All of
      > the photos were taken with a GPS attached to the camera, so are
      > easily georeference for tools like Google Earth.
      >
      > Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again and let you know that
      over
      > the coming weeks to months I'll have lots of questions, and
      hopefully
      > lots of nice images to share. Also, if anyone has ideas for good
      > ways to make use of these photos, please feel free to share them
      with
      > me. As an academic project, my intent is to share them freely once
      > processed (though this may take some time...). I posted a few test
      > stitches here at various resolutions:
      > http://www.uaf.edu/water/faculty/nolan/temp/anwrpanos/
      teststitches/.
      > Note that these are just fully automated PTgui stitches with no
      > corrections for C/A, sensor dust, misaligned stitches, etc., but
      they
      > range from coastal plain from mountains, and should give you a
      sense
      > of the scenery (you need your own pano viewer, these are just
      jpgs).

      > One question I could start with are suggestions for workflow.
      > Perhaps there are online descriptions of this already? What I know
      > need to do are correct for C/A (extreme in some cases), remove
      sensor
      > dust, convert from RAW to something stitchable, adjust white
      balance
      > and histogram, stitch, and sharpen. Maybe I'm missing steps? Then
      > once processed, I want to create an online display environment.
      I'd
      > like to have the highest resolution available (10,000x 5000 pixels
      > for my 10.5mm) but perhaps this is too heavy for web? Are there
      > display tools that allow for 'pyramid layering', such that a low
      > resolution preview shows up first, but then more data is streamed
      > when the user zooms in? This is how Google Earth works. The tools
      > have currently include CS2 w/ RAW, ACDSee Pro w/ RAW, PTgui Pro,
      > Nikon Capture NX, and RealVis Stitcher Pro. I barely know how to
      use
      > CS2 and have not yet even installed Stitcher. What to use for the
      > display and hyperlink software? I think I would like to use a
      Flash
      > method since nearly everyone has Flash installed, but I have no
      sense
      > of what the trade-offs are compared to QTVR. I have funds to buy
      > nearly any software reasonable for this purpose. Anyway, any
      > thoughts are appreciated, and feel free to email me directly as
      well
      > matt.nolan@...
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Matt